• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Use larger SD-Card with original Hilscher-Image
Hello everyone,

since Revision #2 it is possible to change the micro-sd-card of the netPi. Therefore it is possible to use larger micro-sd-cards as the original 8GB-one. Since I like the original Hilscher-Image with its security features quite a lot, I would not want to miss it on a larger sd-card.

Therefore I have backuped the original Image with win32-Disk-Imager, which worked well. I was also able to flash this image to the new card using balenaEtcher. When I inserted the new card into the netPi, everything worked well. The only problem is that I forgot to extend the filesystem/logical Volume on the new card to be able to use the additional space. So my 16 GB-card still worked like a 8 GB-one. After googeling, try and error, I actually managed to extend the Logical Volume which is used by the netPi for storing our data, with the underlying volume group and physical volume. After that I was able to use the complete 16-GBs of the new card on this netPi.

I thought "hey, now I know what to do" and wrote a quick manual of how to do the extension. Trying this at the second netPi, I wasn't able to do it again. After hours of trying, I surrendered and found a kind of a "hack" which helped me out. I flashed the Image of netPi(1), which I was able to sucessfully extend to 16GBs, to the netPI(2). After that of course the netPI(2) did not boot, since the Hardware-ID of the netPi did not match the hardware-ID written to the image by Hilscher. But I managed to change the hardware-ID wirtten to the Image by coping one Partition of the original netPi(2)'s Image to the 16-GB Image of netPI(1). Now I am able to reproduce 16GB netPi Images, but as you might guess, I can't handle e.g. 32GB cards now  Blush

To cut a long story short.....Would anyone who is trying to do the same/has done the same and is more into filesystems and logical volumes than me be willing to share his way of doing it with me (and everyone else) in form of a quick manual? Or would one of the Support-Team be that kind? Rolleyes 

Thanks in advance,
Andi

Messages In This Thread
[SOLVED] Use larger SD-Card with original Hilscher-Image - by Andi - July-5th-2019, 10:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken SD card dusrma24 11 9,883 February-9th-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: dral2009
  [SOLVED]SD card writing speed m-yoshikawa 4 3,232 February-25th-2021, 07:13 AM
Last Post: m-yoshikawa
  SD card durability Armin@netPI 2 5,167 November-4th-2020, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  how to unpack netPI to replace the microSD card tad 2 2,964 September-2nd-2020, 05:47 AM
Last Post: tad
Wink SD card on NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE Lingyue 3 4,422 March-6th-2020, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Lingyue
  Sealed microSD memory card (no more) Armin@netPI 1 3,191 August-13th-2019, 10:51 AM
  [SOLVED] Memory storage MGharat 1 2,251 April-2nd-2019, 05:32 AM
  [SOLVED] Pin configuration Akhil 7 4,962 December-13th-2018, 07:30 AM
  [SOLVED] Information for pin connector Justin 9 7,009 November-12th-2018, 09:25 AM