• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED]SD card writing speed
I have two netPIs, and their writing speed seems to be different.

To measure speed on same condition, I re-installed firmware(V1.2.2.0) and deployed a container from the same image (hilscher/netpi-raspbian) on each netPI, however, the writing speed is different. One is about 13MB/s and the other is 18MB/s.
(I tested the writing speed with the command "dd if=/dev/zero of=benchmark bs=380k count=1k conv=fdatasync")

I want to know about this writing speed difference.
Could you answer the following questions?

1. Is there any ways to check SD card conditions?
    Since I am a beginner of Docker and Linux, I could not find the way to check SD card conditions. Is there any commands to check it?
    (I could not find proper way to use badblocks command)

2. Is this SD card endurance problem?
    I suppose that this is SD card endurance problem.

Could you tell me any other factors that may cause this difference?

3. In the case of SD card endurance problem, is there any way to deal with it?

4. If this is not the case of SD card endurance problem, is there any way to deal with it?

5. Could you tell me the write speed on factory-sealed condition?
    The faster netPI is not so new. I want to know if the faster one is already deteriorated or not.

It is hard to answer I guess, however, if you have any ideas about my questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Hello there,

if you tell me both MAC addresses of your two netPI devices then I can tell you which type of SD card is used in your netPIs.

Since mid of year 2019 we are only assemble an SD card of SANDISK. This is a very fast SD card. Since then we did not change the SD card any more. The new card is colored white and the old cards are colored black.

1. You can check the SD card speed youself deploying a Raspbian OS container https://github.com/HilscherAutomation/netPI-raspbian and install tool sysbench once you logged in to this container. The simple call to install it is
Code:
apt install sysbench
Here is a link how to use it from the community: https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-benchm...h-sysbench

2. So far I have no experience collected if a card that is used for long time is slower than a card that is fresh. I am not an SD card expert. Whenever we did speed tests with the SD cards I checked then my cards were already fresh an unused.

3. I can't answer. First we have to check which type of SD card really used in your netPI devices. Else all statements are speculation.

4. I can't answer

5. I am wondering that you say "the faster netPI is not so new" ... means this device the is older one and could have maybe inserted an SD card colored "black" from earlier day maybe. But these SD cards are very slow compared to the "white" new cards we use since 2019. This really sounds weird to me.

I think you have maybe noticed that we have new netPI versions with 32GByte size. For these new generation of SD cards the manufacturer SANDISK has implemented a special feature were a user can read out the level of deterioration. But this is not possible with the standard 8GByte SD cards.[url=https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&client=firefox-b-d&q=deterioration&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_686Ki4LvAhUK8BQKHf5bBSYQBSgAegQIEhA1][/url]

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Dear Armin,

Thank you for your reply.

My netPI devices' MAC adresses are "B827EBEFDC49"(faster one) and "B827EBE916A2"(slower one).

What I wanted to indicate with the words "the faster netPI is not so new" is the possibility of SD card deterioration on the faster netPI, not only on the slower one. I did not indicate the possibility of SD card change.

However, I want to know SD cards' types on each netPI devices first. The comparison between different SD cards is meaningless.
Please tell me SD cards types on each devices.

Best regards,
Hello,

the device B827EBE916A2 was manufactured in year 2019 and uses an SD card from company XMORE.

the device B827EBEFDC49 was manufactured in year 2020 and uses an SD card from company SANDISK. This SANDISK card by the way is the latest version we offer the current and future 8GByte netPIs with.

I can tell you from my measurements made in year 2019 that the SANDISK card is indeed faster than the XMORE card. So I have the same result like you. Now it is clear to me why the two netPI devices show different speeds. Both cards are industrial and are of type MLC.

The latest 32GByte version we offer netPI with since some months is another 5-10% faster than the 8GB SANDISK card. Because of its high endurance it is an SD card of type SLC.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Dear Armin,

Thank you for your reply.
I was able to figure things out because of your information.

I am grateful to you for your speedy support.

Best regards,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken SD card dusrma24 11 9,512 February-9th-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: dral2009
  [SOLVED] Use larger SD-Card with original Hilscher-Image Andi 9 7,281 January-7th-2021, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  SD card durability Armin@netPI 2 5,052 November-4th-2020, 06:01 PM
  how to unpack netPI to replace the microSD card tad 2 2,869 September-2nd-2020, 05:47 AM
Last Post: tad
Wink SD card on NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE Lingyue 3 4,261 March-6th-2020, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Lingyue
  Sealed microSD memory card (no more) Armin@netPI 1 3,068 August-13th-2019, 10:51 AM
  [SOLVED] Memory storage MGharat 1 2,135 April-2nd-2019, 05:32 AM
  [SOLVED] Pin configuration Akhil 7 4,754 December-13th-2018, 07:30 AM
  [SOLVED] Information for pin connector Justin 9 6,681 November-12th-2018, 09:25 AM