• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for NetPi Update process
The reason of my remark was due to my first attempt to update it.
I'm a macOS user (lazy , heh), and I took my fastest USB stick, did the erase/format to FAT32 then followed the procedure ... and failed. I think this was due to the fact that by default, macOS create an EFI partition, then a FAT32... not mentioning that we must be careful to have a FDisk partition scheme and not a GUID partition scheme I think.

So I took my Debian into a VM ... parted / mkdos FAT32... then copy the content of the firmware zip, and rebooted the NetPi with the stick. I saw more blinking on the key led, waited it stops and reboot.

New firmware is loaded. Btw, I haven't noticed the "APL" led blinking during the process, only the "ACT".
Just did it a second time because I wasn't sure I didn't reboot too early. So yes, only "ACT" is blinking... so I waited until I see no activity on the stick and ACT led for 5mins to be sure.
Perhaps an indication that the flash copy is done would be good (something with Led 1 & Led 2?), and then it is safe to unplug the power and reboot.

So now, I'm back to a fresh installation and have a second suggestion Smile
- would be great to not wipe the docker volumes ... they are supposed to be persistent across reboot ...

If I have to update again , I'm wondering how I will save the content of my docker volumes.

There also, perhaps the Control Panel could have :
- A backup to local USB or download Zipped Volumes, that you can select
- Have the ability to create a partition which will not be wiped during firmware update. For instance, on resin.os (can I mention it?) , you have the /data partition which is persistent.

For the first choice, the question exists also into Portainer here : https://github.com/portainer/portainer/issues/935

Messages In This Thread
Answer - by vdupont - February-14th-2018, 05:13 PM
Answer - by Armin@netPI - February-14th-2018, 05:38 PM
Answer - by vdupont - February-14th-2018, 06:47 PM
Answer - by Armin@netPI - February-14th-2018, 09:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netPI-netx-programming-examples update slos 12 8,099 September-14th-2020, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  [SOLVED] How to update firmware philippbruhin.ch 12 9,680 July-16th-2019, 11:20 AM
Last Post: patrick
  Software update without factory defaults hannes 3 2,911 March-19th-2019, 11:57 AM
Last Post: patrick