• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout
(January-17th-2021, 08:05 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Hi Alex,

all I am writing is just speculation since I don't know exactly. Responsible for this setting is the config.txt file as with Raspbian OS.

I know our netFIELD OS is a secured Linux which checks many details during the boot time for consistency. Any modifications outside the normal ruleset are "punished" and lead to a non booting device. But with the config.txt file I am not sure.

But since the basis of this Hilscher OS is of course the Raspbian Linux OS/Kernel you will find the config.txt file usually used to configure the overlays and physical settings on the SD card's partition "boot". I my opinion this config.txt file can be modified in accordance to the Raspberry Organizations specification under https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...onfig-txt/.

I see two possibilities:

1. Open the device case, remove the SD card and mount it in a separate Linux machine to execute this kind of config.txt file modification on the boot partition.

2. Call the following code to mount the SD card's boot partition in your netFIELD Connect Linux temporarily

Code:
mkdir /tmp/boot
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/boot
sudo vi /tmp/boot/config.txt
... make you edits
sudo reboot

Tell me more about the UART module. Is it the Hilscher UART module? In this case this module contains an EEPROM with overlay informations about its setting. If it is recognized by the netFIELD OS the EEPROM configuration adds to the config.txt setting of the main Kernel and may override these. So please take this into account.

Thx

Armin

Hi Armin,

I took over this task of enabeling the on the netpi.
I have two devices on my desk:
1. netpi
2. field connect.
I intend to use the field connect as a devenviorment env to create my own image based on your raspbian image.
fisrt thing I tried to do is to modify the boot partition to support the ttyAMA0. (I have done it on netpi and field connect)

with field connect:
1. I was able to test the ttyAMA0 is running as expected on the host file system.
2. cannot expose the /dev/ttyAMA0 on raspbian container you provided. so I am unable to test. I have trided running docker command similar to your instruction in docker hub:
docker run -d --privileged --network=host --restart=always -e SSHPORT=22 --device=/dev/ttyAMA0:/dev/ttyAMA0 --device=/dev/vcio:/dev/vcio --device=/dev/vchiq:/dev/vchiq --device=/dev/vc-mem:/dev/vc-mem -p 22:22/tcp hilschernetpi/netpi-raspbian

with netpi:
1. using portainer i able to expose /dev/ttyAMA0. when running the test application there is no communication with the tested device.

I have few questions:
1. with field connect what do I need to do to be able to expose /dev/ttyAMA0 it is different from portainer.
2. do you have any guess what can cause the ttyAMA0 not to work in the raspbian container ?
3. I have noticed there is a boot partiion inside the container. I am not sure why is it provided ? can you clarify ? ( if it is used when container is loaded I guess I need to make the device tree modification also inside this directory as well) 

Regards,

Roy

Messages In This Thread
Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by AlexRegev - January-17th-2021, 07:41 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - January-17th-2021, 08:05 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by royazriel - June-15th-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by AlexRegev - January-17th-2021, 10:56 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - January-18th-2021, 07:51 AM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - January-18th-2021, 11:22 AM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 11:24 AM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by royazriel - June-15th-2021, 12:03 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 11:38 AM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 11:42 AM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by royazriel - June-15th-2021, 11:49 AM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 12:03 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by royazriel - June-15th-2021, 12:19 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 12:10 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 12:35 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by royazriel - June-15th-2021, 01:20 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 01:59 PM
RE: Update /dev/ttyAMA0 UART pinout - by Armin@netPI - June-15th-2021, 02:00 PM