• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NIOT-E-NPIX-RS485
Hi, I add on the device netIOT Edge Gateway NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE (Connect) V1.2.1.0 a RS485 module, NIOT-E-NPIX-RS485.

I try to use on a node-red flow but the debug shown 'FSM reset on state' and no communication is done.

I think that, in order to use this module with node-red I should modify some configuration of device and activate the /dev/ttyS0

How to configure this module?

Thanks
First of all this module is auto detected by NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE OS when you plug this module into the slot. The OS then creates a logical device named /dev/ttys0 within host's OS context.

Then .... containers normally do not have access to those logical devices except you tell the container to specifically map a host device to the container context. Else there no access possible from apps running in the container.

So you need to extend the start parameters of your container to mapping the host /dev/ttys0 device into the container as /dev/ttys0. Once this is done, then the Node-RED application running in the container is able to access the logical device also.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(January-20th-2023, 04:14 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: First of all this module is auto detected by NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE OS when you plug this module into the slot. The OS then creates a logical device named /dev/ttys0 within host's OS context.

Then .... containers normally do not have access to those logical devices except you tell the container to specifically map a host device to the container context. Else there no access possible from apps running in the container.

So you need to extend the start parameters of your container to mapping the host /dev/ttys0 device into the container as /dev/ttys0. Once this is done, then the Node-RED application running in the container is able to access the logical device also.

Thx
Armin

Hi Armin,

but the device has preinstalled node-red software. I trying to use the module with this preinstalled node-red. Where I can extend this start parameters? 
Ok. Let me ask you this. You say you are using the embedded Node-RED of NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE device and you see the error 'FSM reset on state' ... so which node in Node-RED are you using to access the serial port "/dev/ttys0"?

I have one more question.

The OS generation 1.x that you are using has so many limitations ... why do you not upgrade to OS generation 2.x which is coming with Docker only and gives you the best flexibility using a container with a rather fresh Node-RED version created 2 years ago from https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/netpi-nodered instead of the preinstalled unflexible version that is now 4 years old? I have the impression the error 'FSM reset on state' is coming more from the old Node-RED version than from the NPIX-RS485 module.

The generation 1.x of OS is no longer maintained since 3 years. This is my main concern.

...where I'll find the last FW/OS for the device? Thanks
The common web-site for this version of OS (called netFIELD OS) V2.x is here https://kb.hilscher.com/x/LR6FCQ

The link to the very latest version of the OS for your device is here: https://kb.hilscher.com/download/attachm...covery.zip

The manual describing how to update the device with an USB stick is located here:
https://kb.hilscher.com/download/attachm...5%20EN.pdf

Just jump to "Recovery via USB stick" page

The procedure how to format the USB stick, how to name the USB drive "RECOVERY" and how to place the update files on the USB stick is the same whether you have a 1.x software or a 2.x software. But of course the manual describes the usage of the device after you have updated it with the netFIELD OS V2.x. Make sure you have a good working USB stick. Many customers had trouble with older USB sticks that are not compatible with Raspberry Pi CPU used on the device. Hope it is detected right aways and executes the update then.

After the update you will have a totally new impression with your device . It has a new web-ui, it supports SSH connectivity from the beginning, it has a web-ui terminal where you can access the Linux OS directly or call "docker xxxx" directly commands. The docker is now full features and has no limits as with 1.x OS. Overall it is much more open to users than we have implemented it with 1.x version of OS. You will see.

Especially for your RS485 use case. With the new OS a quick check in the terminal and folder /dev/ with "ls /dev/" will immediately show the presence of the device "/dev/ttys0" after you have inserted the NPIX module. Before with old OS 1.x this was never possible since there was no change to get access to those folders.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB to RS485 convetrer MGharat 5 7,666 November-15th-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: patribenq
  NIOT-E-NPIX-4DI4DO with netpi-netx container WalterSchaefer 3 6,478 November-25th-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: zen89
  NPIX-4DI4DO and NetPi-Nodered container issues alhammi 4 7,586 November-16th-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: alhammi
  using node.js on NIOT-E-TP151-EN-RE COswald 9 10,112 May-20th-2020, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  NIOT-E-NPI3-EN Envisia-BR 8 5,733 December-5th-2019, 02:57 PM
Question Driver for RS485 (netPI) ArteLukas 5 7,393 June-25th-2019, 07:10 AM
  niot-e-npi3-51-en (RS485 <-> Industrial Ethernet) merklethomas 6 4,727 April-26th-2019, 01:38 PM
  [SOLVED] NPIX-DIDO MGharat 2 5,905 March-13th-2019, 06:06 AM
Last Post: MGharat
  "node-red with NIOT-E-NPIX-EVA GPIO module" Docker image Eyad.Almolki 1 2,203 July-30th-2018, 06:22 PM
  3 Network Ports possible on NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE? yulian 7 8,321 April-3rd-2018, 02:57 PM