• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desktop
Hi,

I try to setup the hilschernetpi/netpi-desktop-hdmi on a supported NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE.

I try it with NIOT FW 1.2.0 and the container work fine just for a while, then the NIOT slow down after a few hours and was unreachable. 

So I update the FW to 1.2.1.0 and the container seem to run ok on the docker but nothing shown on HDMI screen

Any suggestions?
Well first of all containers works the same independent of the OS version that is running of on the device. This is exactly one of the biggest advantages of a container ... running always the same independent of any OS...

What is most important for a Raspberry Pi graphics controller to enable HDMI signal is to have a monitor/display already connected at the time the NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE device was powered. If no monitor was connected during the power up time then HDMI output will never work. This is a restriction of the graphics controller.

So are you sure you have connected a monitor during power up times?

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(November-4th-2022, 12:38 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Well first of all  containers works the same independent of the OS version that is running of on the device. This is exactly one of the biggest advantages of a container ... running always the same independent of any OS...

What is most important for a Raspberry Pi graphics controller to enable HDMI signal is to have a monitor/display already connected at the time the NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE device was powered. If no monitor was connected during the power up time then HDMI output will never work. This is a restriction of the graphics controller.

So are you sure you have connected a monitor during power up times?

Thx
Armin

Hi, yes. The monitor is already connected and shown a startup messages. After that the desktop do not appear
One more question in order to clarify whether or not your device/graphics contoller works correctly.

If you say you have a monitor connected ... do you see boot messages on the monitor after you powered the device? Or is it a black screen from the beginning?

Also very important is whether or not you are using a HMDI to HMDI cable 1:1 or a HDMI to DVI cable maybe. Cause this could be also a problem that your screen remains a black screen.

Thx
Armin

Hi, yes I see boot messages and then after booting and after a while a black screen. The NIOT work fine and the container is running.
However, when I was able to start this container correctly - whit the old FW - something wrong already was on it because, without any nodered flow and any other sw other than the container desktop, the system slow down after few hours of working. The NIOS was not reachable. If I reset the NIOS the desktop and the device will restart correctly but only for a while. Then I follow the suggestion of DIREL support and upgrade the FW. And now I have the black screen problem...

(November-5th-2022, 06:52 AM)LucioFiam Wrote: Hi, yes I see boot messages and then after booting and after a while a black screen. The NIOT work fine and the container is running.
However, when I was able to start this container correctly - whit the old FW - something wrong already was on it because, without any nodered flow and any other sw other than the container desktop, the system slow down after few hours of working. The NIOS was not reachable. If I reset the NIOS the desktop and the device will restart correctly but only for a while. Then I follow the suggestion of DIREL support and upgrade the FW. And now I have the black screen problem...

The cable is 1:1

However, my goal is to run a custom C code to get and put data to NodeRed flow. So I look for a Docker container to implement this. Maybe you should suggest a better solution for that...
Thanks
Ok but if you want to run Node-RED so why do you install then the desktop container?

Instead you should install a Node-RED container or? We are offering a Node-RED example container since years: https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/netpi-nodered

After the proper installation then you can reach Node-RED on netPI via the ip address at port 1880.

If you want to cun a custom C-Code on netPI also then you need to compile it or? So you need a compiler and a base image to compile it. For this we have a Raspbian OS container also: https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/netpi-raspbian . Running this container feeds your netPI with all the functions users of a normal Raspberry Pi are use to. So you can login to this Raspbian container via SSH as usual via a console shell and transmit your code and then compile an run it.

This is how I would do it.

Thx
Armin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netPI Desktop java Hochschulstudent 13 7,664 August-13th-2020, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  netpi-desktop-hdmi with setting network=bridge tad 13 8,086 June-19th-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: tad
  [SOLVED] netPI with Raspbian Desktop firefly 8 5,656 November-28th-2019, 06:01 PM
  Auflösung in hilschernetpi/netpi-desktop-hdmi ändern dennis 5 4,192 November-15th-2018, 11:28 AM