• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NetFIELD Gateway VPN Connectivity plus Profinet IO comm.
Dear Armin,

Hope you are doing good.

I am preparing one demo kit for Siemens PLC Remote access as well as Profinet communication at the same time, so will it work? attached network architecture for your reference. or is there any modification required to network architecture.

Br,
Devendra Songra

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok I understand that you are using a PROFINET container from Hilscher in the netFIELD Connect edge gateway in order to communicate with a Siemens PLC as PROFINET IO device, is that right? 

This PROFINET container supports basically two things: 

1. Provisioning of the PROFINET IO device function and a gateway function for the IO to read/write them from/to an MQTT broker
2. Provisioning of an independent LAN interface (cifx0) on PROFINET side in order to send/receive any kind of TCP/IP frames

So without ever having tested of what you are requesting ... I would say that physically the netFIELD Connect device fulfils the basic requirements on the PROFINET communication side. 

But now comes my main question: How do you realized the VPN connection? Hilscher does not provide any VPN container as the PROFINET container. Is that something you want to do your on your own?
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Dear Armin,

Ok I understand that you are using a PROFINET container from Hilscher in the netFIELD Connect edge gateway in order to communicate with a Siemens PLC as PROFINET IO device, is that right?  Yes, you are correct.

But now comes my main question: How do you realized the VPN connection? Hilscher does not provide any VPN container as the PROFINET container. Is that something you want to do your on your own? I am using NetFIELD VPN connectivity which is based on netfield.io. VPN connectivity working smoothly.

Br,
Devendra Songra
Well using the tunneling function of netFIELD cloud is a service that is for free since it was made initially made by us for maintenance purposes ... at the moment you can use it unlimited time. But for any connection we will be charged by the provider. So in one of the next cloud release version we will be either time limiting this feature or the end customer has to pay for it for unlimited time use as with usual other VPN connection provider.

Nevertheless in general a customer using netFIELD Cloud functions need an account for it to use this function anyways. In order to use the port forwaring function you have to setup port forwarding to the IP address of the Siemens PLC you want to talk to. This shouldn't be a problem. But make sure you have configured an IP address/Network mask for cifx0 that is in the same subnet as the Siemens PLC.

Regards
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Ok, Armin Noted.

Br,
Devendra Songra
I don't understand why many people still use VPN devices and software when a proxy server can keep them anonymous just fine. I mean, I never wanted to download a VPN for that. My networking requires my computer to be anonymous. I don't want some creepy website to keep my IP address in their database. So it's much easier for me to download software to connect malaysia proxies to do all that. Tell me, how long have you been using VPN software on your computers or smartphones? Is it really convenient, guys? Perhaps you can convince me that this is a good thing. Does the netFIELD Connect software exist for macOS?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netFIELD Compact Gateway Profinet IO/ Ethernet IP communication DSongra 1 3,065 December-20th-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Hilscher netFIELD device SAhire@hilscher.local 5 6,231 October-13th-2022, 12:56 PM
  On-Premise NetFIELD Gateway node-red DSongra 27 12,622 September-14th-2022, 11:48 AM
  Data Logging into On-premise Gateway DSongra 1 4,898 September-8th-2022, 02:11 PM
  USB testing on NetFIELD Gateway DSongra 3 8,103 August-31st-2021, 07:42 AM
Last Post: DSongra
  netfield onpremise V2.2 testing MGharat 13 11,987 August-30th-2021, 08:13 AM
  Software difference netIOT Connect vs netFIELD Connect HeinzeS 3 7,854 August-12th-2021, 07:52 AM
Last Post: HeinzeS
  netFIELD OS Kernel Version Irina Grinberg 7 5,106 May-3rd-2021, 12:58 PM
  netFIELD Connect SW - remote management of connected PLC MGharat 3 4,601 February-10th-2021, 01:29 PM
  Can a netPI RTE 3 be turned into a netFIELD Connect Armin@netPI 0 2,531 December-23rd-2020, 09:24 AM