• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble resetting NetPI
I'm currently trying to reset a NetPI (NIOT-E-NPI3-EN) via a USB Stick. When I uploaded a Docker image from a tar-file (size 1GB), the NetPI stopped responding to inputs and the web interface was no longer available. I then attempted to restart it by unplugging it and then plugging it in again, but the ACR light stayed off, only the POW light was on.

I have downloaded the Software image and copied the correct files to a USB 3.0-stick according to the instructions. All files and folders are in the root folder of the stick, the stick has format FAT32 and is named "RECOVERY". Unfortunately, the ACT light stays dark when I put in the stick and repower the NetPI. The stick is newly bought. The connected monitor doesn't receive any signal.
(February-1st-2022, 11:02 AM)a.w.d.m. Wrote: I'm currently trying to reset a NetPI (NIOT-E-NPI3-EN) via a USB Stick. When I uploaded a Docker image from a tar-file (size 1GB), the NetPI stopped responding to inputs and the web interface was no longer available. I then attempted to restart it by unplugging it and then plugging it in again, but the ACR light stayed off, only the POW light was on.

I have downloaded the Software image and copied the correct files to a USB 3.0-stick according to the instructions. All files and folders are in the root folder of the stick, the stick has format FAT32 and is named "RECOVERY". Unfortunately, the ACT light stays dark when I put in the stick and repower the NetPI. The stick is newly bought. The connected monitor doesn't receive any signal.

Take a look at this thread (https://forum.hilscher.com/thread-318.html #4) and specifically:
1. Make sure that you perform a full format (not quick) on the USB stick, also it would be better done on a Linux System.
2. Not every usb stick works (even if newly bought). “It needs to boot fast to get recognized by the Edge Gateway's bootloader when powered. Try out other sticks just in case”.

Regards
Azzam
It seems your netPI lost apparently its boot capability. In this case I would say this netPI can't be recovered any more. The most important LED is the ACT LED on netPI. If it is not flashing cyclically/acyclically then the Linux hearbeat function doesn't work which means to me there is no booting sequence any more active.

What is the MAC-ID saying on the device's label? Can you tell me please?

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

I can not find a label saying MAC-ID.

There is a FCC ID (2ANEG0001),
a LAN MAC address (B827EB6556ED)
and a Wifi MAC address (B827EB3003B8)
Dark monitor on HDMI and no flashing ACT LED means definitively your netPI is not booting. Either the hardware has defect or the SD card got no longer bootable.

I see the device with the MAC ID B827EB6556ED was manufactured 2018-05-16. Devices manufactured before 2019 are special and have their SD card tightly glued into the SD card socket which in turn means they cannot be removed or changed any more. We decided this because of security reasons in order not to allow customers to change the card or the Linux OS contents on the card. Later in year 2019 we changed the strategy and from that point on SD cards no longer have been glued into the socket. But with your device no chance.

You will recognize the type of device with/without glued SD card by looking to the number located under the small qr-code it says 1321.510 1 for those with glued SD card and 1321.510 2 for those without glued SD cards.

At this point and from remote analysis I can tell you that your netPI cannot be recovered any more. And the manufacturing year 2018 tells me also there is no guarantee any more for this device.

P.S.: from my personal experiences I indeed got the glue removed from the SD card once by heating up the glue and SD card and socket and then using a twezzer to crumble away the glue piece by piece and reach the space below the SD card to lift it up little and then finally get it out of the socket. But what's really got destroyed during this process was the push-push mechnism of the socket since it was melted away. But after cleaing the socket from the black glue parts I was able to shift in a new card and got Raspbian OS working.

Thx
Armin

Thanks for the information. Do you have an idea what could have caused this? As I said, the NetPI stopped working after I uploaded a Docker image from a tar file of 1GB size. Could that have had such catastrophic consequences? Or is it more likely that this was a coincidence?
Well, this is difficult to say.

Could it be that uploading the image and its file size added together with all the other docker images and docker containers that were located on the SD card were overstepping the remaining disk size of the effecitve usable overall 6GByte free disk space?

Thx
Armin

That might be the case. We did have a lot of unused images lying around there. I didn't realize that the NetPI has such limited disk space. Although this is quite an extreme reaction. I imagine that this would happen frequently if that was the case. I will keep an eye out for it once we have a working NetPI again though.