• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdmi not working
Hi, i follow the instruction on the link https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/n...ktop-hdmi/ but the hdmi is not working.
Have any hint?
Thanks
Well, what happens to your HDMI output in general when you power your netPI? I mean independent of the container ... from the beginning. I want to make sure that your HDMI port is working in general. Because netPI is printing out some logging messages on HDMI during boot sequence.

You need also to make sure that the HDMI port is connected to netPI from the beginning. Also most important is not to use any adapters like DVI to HDMI converters. netPI graphic CPU is only able to detect an HDMI output monitor and its signals. This is done during the first 1-2 seconds after power on. If no monitor was detected during this time, the HDMI output will remain black to whole rest of the time until you reset netPI.

Then you said you have used the docker container "HDMI output". What is the status of this container when you use the Docker Web UI. Also each container started writes some loging information into an internal log file ... which you can make visible in the Docker Web UI icons that you can click on the "container overview" list. What does the container log output say?

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(November-16th-2021, 11:37 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Well, what happens to your HDMI output in general when you power your netPI? I mean independent of the container ... from the beginning. I want to make sure that your HDMI port is working in general. Because netPI is printing out some logging messages on HDMI during boot sequence.

You need also to make sure that the HDMI port is connected to netPI from the beginning. Also most important is not to use any adapters like DVI to HDMI converters. netPI graphic CPU is only able to detect an HDMI output monitor and its signals. This is done during the first 1-2 seconds after power on. If no monitor was detected during this time, the HDMI output will remain black to whole rest of the time until you reset netPI.

Then you said you have used the docker container "HDMI output". What is the status of this container when you use the Docker Web UI. Also each container started writes some loging information into an internal log file ... which you can make visible in the Docker Web UI icons that you can click on the "container overview" list. What does the container log output say?

Thx
Armin

So, i've try hdmi - hdmi or hdmi - dvi but none of this works, simply my screen is always black. The hdmi container works, i can connect from vnc or anydesk with other pc, but with the monitor attach via hdmi i always got black screen.

This is the log:

xcb_connection_has_error() returned true

numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'

; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=1,min=-10239,max=400,step=0

: values=400

| dBscale-min=-102.39dB,step=0.01dB,mute=1

starting pulseaudio ...

starting SSH server ...

the container binds the SSH server port to the default port 22

Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.

chmod: cannot access '/dev/tty1': No such file or directory

starting X on display 0 ...

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

X.Org X Server 1.20.4

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

Build Operating System: Linux 4.15.0-48-generic armv8l Raspbian

Current Operating System: Linux NTB827EB114AAB 4.9.80-rt62 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Sep 24 08:53:45 UTC 2020 armv7l

Kernel command line: 8250.nr_uarts=0 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=1280 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=1024 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x3dc00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x3f000000 kgdboc= console=tty1 root=LABEL=SYSTEM/rootfs.img rootfstype=squashfs overlay_root rootflags=noatime,discard ro rootwait logo.nologo cgroup_enable=cpuset dwc_otg.fiq_enable=0 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0 loglevel=4

Build Date: 05 June 2019 12:49:54PM

xorg-server 2:1.20.4-1+rpt1 (https://www.debian.org/support)

Current version of pixman: 0.36.0

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org

to make sure that you have the latest version.

Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,

(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

(==) Log file: "/home/testuser/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Nov 16 11:05:58 2021

(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"

(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

starting VNC ...

starting anydesk ...

(process:147): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:07.287: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:147): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:07.288: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:147): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:07.292: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:147): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:07.292: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:163): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:07.684: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:07.685: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:163): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:07.686: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:07.687: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:168): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:07.710: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:168): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:07.711: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:168): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:07.711: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:168): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:07.711: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:174): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:08.138: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:174): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:08.138: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:174): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:08.138: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:174): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:08.138: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:177): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:08.168: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:177): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:08.168: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:177): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:08.170: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:177): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:08.170: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:178): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:08.188: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:178): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:08.189: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:178): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:08.190: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:178): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:08.190: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

sh: 1: lsb_release: not found

(process:193): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:10.191: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:193): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:10.191: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(process:193): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 11:06:10.191: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(process:193): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:06:10.191: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

(anydesk:174): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 11:06:12.013: IA__gtk_widget_set_tooltip_markup: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(anydesk:174): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 11:06:12.041: IA__gtk_widget_set_tooltip_markup: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(anydesk:174): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 11:06:12.102: IA__gtk_signal_connect_full: assertion 'GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

sh: 1: lsb_release: not found

sh: 1: lspci: not found
The HDMI output port of netPI (Raspberry Pi compatible) is driving data right after power on. The graphics controller chip makes a self check right at the beginning and prints out a 16Mio color picture on HDMI automatically. So maybe check your netPI with another monitor or another HDMI 1.3 compatible cable. I had a customer who was telling me his reason of a black screen was the indeed the monitor.

When we are loading the netPIs with software during production process we always have a HDMI monitor connected to each unit , so the HDMI port of each netPI has been tested well before packaging and delivery. So at the moment I would not see netPI as root cause of this problem but more the monitor or the cable.

The log file output looks good to me. So the container is working and it seems a physical problem only.

Thx
Armin

I try with another monitor and another cable, but i got the same result.. no hdmi output
Well if there is really no HDMI output and the screen remains black all the time - not even the self check HDMI screen is visible at boot times - then it seems the netPI HDMI port is not working any more. The HDMI output must have worked at production time ... else the netPI cannot be manufactured by the person who loads the software onto netPI. So somehow it must have been destroyed. What is the MAC address printed on the device? Then I can see when it has been manufactured.

(November-16th-2021, 06:21 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Well if there is really no HDMI output and the screen remains black all the time - not even the self check HDMI screen is visible at boot times - then it seems the netPI HDMI port is not working any more. The HDMI output must have worked at production time ... else the netPI cannot be manufactured by the person who loads the software onto netPI. So somehow it must have been destroyed. What is the MAC address printed on the device? Then I can see when it has been manufactured.

This is the first time i try to use it, MAC is B827EB114AAB
Thank you.

The device is from May 2020 and of the latest revision. The production went through without any problems. So also the HDMI output must have worked well, else we were not been able to finish production.

So if you see always have a black screen even directly after power on then my remote diagnosis is the HDMI port has a malfunction. Since it is from year 2020 there is still a guarantee. Returning procedure is across our RMA ticket service https://www.hilscher.com/de/support/rma-ticket/ or to the source where you have bought the unit from.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks
Armin

(November-17th-2021, 09:07 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Thank you.

The device is from May 2020 and of the latest revision. The production went through without any problems. So also the HDMI output must have worked well, else we were not been able to finish production.

So if you see always have a black screen even directly after power on then my remote diagnosis is the HDMI port has a malfunction. Since it is from year 2020 there is still a guarantee. Returning procedure is across our RMA ticket service https://www.hilscher.com/de/support/rma-ticket/ or to the source where you have bought the unit from.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks
Armin

Hi, i've got another devices, in this case HDMI work but i found this issue:

1) Using hdmi - vga i see some strange lines on the monitor, something like a flickering effect.
2) If no keyboard is inserted no hdmi output, and if i disconnect the keyboard the hdmi is instantly turning off!

Is there a way to use the hdmi without mouse and keyboard?
Thanks
Hello,

what do you mean with HDMI - VGA? Do you mean you are using an adaptor between the netPI HDMI port and your monitor?

Whenver you switch on any Raspberry Pi or netPI in the whole world independent if any USB device is connected or not the graphics controller of the Raspberry Pi will always make a self test and showing for 1/2 second a colored picture of 16Mio colors in the case it has found a boot image on the SD card. If not any bootable image was found by any reason then the HDMI port remains black all the time.

HDMI and USB are driven on the PCB board by totally independent chips. USB is supported by an external controller that sits next to the Raspberry Pi CPU. If you say there are influences whether or not you put load on USB this sounds to me like there is a relation in between and there is a depencency on the somehow im the power supply circuit of the board. But this is all speculation.

Thx
Armin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED]DHCP server not working m-yoshikawa 24 13,613 June-11th-2021, 07:04 AM
Last Post: tad
  Profinet stopped working (spidev spi0.0: SPI transfer timed out) Schranz 7 5,014 November-2nd-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Fieldbus Ports not working Schoko 13 8,522 June-29th-2020, 09:43 PM
  netpi-desktop-hdmi with setting network=bridge tad 13 8,081 June-19th-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: tad
  Node-Red "http in"-Node not working DWxPro 8 7,491 June-19th-2020, 01:12 AM
Last Post: DWxPro
  Node Red stop working DSongra 1 2,921 February-12th-2020, 08:19 AM
  [SOLVED] netPI stops working (502 - Bad Gateway) Andi 3 3,502 June-19th-2019, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Andi
  [SOLVED] Using netPI's HDMI port Rahulsagar 2 3,922 December-14th-2018, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Rahulsagar
  Auflösung in hilschernetpi/netpi-desktop-hdmi ändern dennis 5 4,189 November-15th-2018, 11:28 AM
  usage of hilschernetpi/netpi-netx-ethernet-lan is working but costs 25% cpu power Michael_d 7 4,901 March-9th-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Michael_d