• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using netHAT as netSHIELD
Hi,

We have already placed an order for netSHIELD. Also we have a netHAT. In meantime we would like to use netHAT as netSHIELD. We connect netHAT on Nucleo using jumpers. However it did not work. We would like to know it is possible.

Regards,
Ibrahim
Well,

netSHIELD is an evaluation expansion board with Arduino Uno pin out compatible connectors for development purposes. The extension board is designed and tested for 3.3V based hardware designs like STM32 Nucleo Micorcontroller evaluation boards. -> so netSHIELD is made for Arduino

The netHAT module upgrades a Raspberry Pi® to a Real-Time Ethernet capable slave device allowing the exchange of cyclic process data between a Pi application and a Real-Time Ethernet network. The module is compatible with the Hardware Attached on Top (HAT) specification of Raspberry Pi -> so netHAT is made for Raspberry Pi.

Both HW are not compatible to each other due to different pinout. So back to your question ... no you can't use netHAT on Nucleo.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(February-26th-2021, 05:34 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Well,

netSHIELD is an evaluation expansion board with Arduino Uno pin out compatible connectors for development purposes. The extension board is designed and tested for 3.3V based hardware designs like STM32 Nucleo Micorcontroller evaluation boards. -> so netSHIELD is made for Arduino

The netHAT module upgrades a Raspberry Pi® to a Real-Time Ethernet capable slave device allowing the exchange of cyclic process data between a Pi application and a Real-Time Ethernet network. The module is compatible with the Hardware Attached on Top (HAT) specification of Raspberry Pi -> so netHAT is made for Raspberry Pi.

Both HW are not compatible to each other due to different pinout. So back to you question ... no you can't use netHAT on Nucleo.

Thx
Armin

Ok, thanks Armin,

I have another question to ask. We connected netHAT to Nucleo F429 SPI pins, and supplied 5V from a suitable source. netHAT has EtherCAT FW loaded by Raspberry. Is netHAT EtherCAT FW compatible with netSHIELD EtherCAT FW.

Thanks,
Ibrahim
Well,

any netX firmware we are compiling has a hardware specific ID that will fit to the hardware the firmware was compiled for. And on the other hand any hardware has an EEPROM where its ID is written into during production time. When a netX chip is started the netX bootloader compares the ID of the firmware with the ID of the EEPROM. If it does not match it will not be started by the netX bootloader.

Without having tested it, but my personal opinion is that the netHAT FW will not start on netSHIELD or vice versa. Also as far as I know the basic firmware of netSHIELD is running time limited. But I don't know exactly since netSHIELD is not handled through this forum.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(March-1st-2021, 01:00 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Well,

any netX firmware we are compiling has a hardware specific ID that will fit to the hardware the firmware was compiled for. And on the other hand any hardware has an EEPROM where its ID is written into during production time. When a netX chip is started the netX bootloader compares the ID of the firmware with the ID of the EEPROM. If it does not match it will not be started by the netX bootloader.

Without having tested it, but my personal opinion is that the netHAT FW will not start on netSHIELD or vice versa. Also as far as I know the basic firmware of netSHIELD is running time limited. But I don't know exactly since netSHIELD is not handled through this forum.

Thx
Armin

Ok, Thanks, we'll wait for netSHIELD...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netHAT Alexandre 2 724 March-12th-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Alexandre
  netHAT-Interface - SPI, I/O-Konfiguration, etc. tkuhnt 1 581 January-18th-2021, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  GPIO & NETHAT jmontanes 4 1,553 September-8th-2020, 01:39 PM
Last Post: jmontanes
  compatibility netHat with raspberry 4 jmontanes 2 1,145 August-18th-2020, 08:10 AM
Last Post: jmontanes
  Using netHAT in industrial environment Simon@netHAT 9 3,131 September-10th-2019, 07:49 AM
Last Post: iker