• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wifi MAC is changing
Hello,

I tried to connect my netPI RTE to our company wifi. 
The problem is that the wifi MAC address seems to change like every 5minutes in the control pannel (see attachment).
When I refresh the page, a new one appears regularly.

We have a WIFI MAC company policy that only allows connection with known MAC.

I don't know is there is any fake MAC generator on this software and if that's not the case I have absolutely no idea of what is going on.

I don't think this might be a Docker problem. We have a netpi-nodered container running.

Has this happened before ?  Huh

Regards

J. L.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hello,

interesting. I have never put any focus on this MAC address to be honest.

For me it seems the device pratices the following random MAC address procedure as described here: https://fedoramagazine.org/randomize-mac-address-nm/

Right now I don't know it 100% and need to involve our development team to get the exact answer.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hello Armin,

Thank you for your answer.

The randomizer of NetworkManager was my first clue because it is kinda a well known problem on raspberries.

I checked inside the docker container using the portainer console after installing the net-tools package and the wifi MAC is the same as the control panel : it changes over time.

I need wifi because I have other troubles involving profinet but I will post it in another topic.

Regards

J.L.
Well I double-checked this issue meanwhile with the development team. 

Indeed within the netPI Linux OS the behaviour about the randomized MAC address for Wifi is indeed fixed configured and you can't change it. This is a parameter set since the beginning of netPI back in year 2016 when netPI came to the market. I am wondering that nobody else has reported this kind of problem.

For right now I do not have a solution for you about this randomized behaviour. To be honest this setting makes sense for a mobile device ... but for a static device like netPI ... i don't know really.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NetPI WiFi through Internet DSongra 1 1,946 September-7th-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  NetPI wifi access to WPA2-Enterprise MikeP 4 4,257 September-3rd-2021, 02:56 PM
Last Post: MikeP
  Errormessage when trying to connect to wifi. BFH_SAM2 11 7,592 September-24th-2018, 12:52 PM
  [SOLVED] after WIFI enabled - no access paubau 7 5,046 August-30th-2018, 02:04 PM
  [SOLVED] Wifi in a Container iotuser 5 3,984 March-23rd-2018, 01:39 PM