• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many PLCs can be connected?
Dear Armin,

I have some questions about netPI or NIOT-TPI51-EN-RE as Profinet or other RTE network slave. 

1. Is there a one-to-one relationship or a one-to-many relationship between the netIOT Edge Gateway and the master PLC?

2. If there is Siemens S7 PLC and supports MPI interface, need to use a MPI-Adapter to convert MPI to Ethernet, and then connect netPI or NIOT-TPI51-EN-RE, in Node-RED use s7comm node configuration. Now, the MPI-Adapter can connect many PLC? How to configurate through s7comm node? This application scenarios please check the attachment.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards
Lingyue

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well,

netPI and NIOT-E-TPI51 device both support netX51 industrial network controller featuring the 2x RJ45 LAN port interface

In general the netX51 chip can be set to

1. PROFINET device mode to exchange data over PROFINET protocol with s single PROFINET master (PLC) across an PROFINET IP address
  2. TCP/IP mode to work as normal LAN network interface with an IP address
With netPI only mode 1 or mode 2 can be operated. You can load container https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/netpi-nodered for Node-RED PROFINET support or https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/hilsch...ernet-lan/ for TCP/IP mode. Both a the same time is not possible since both container cannot share single netX51 chip.

With NIOT-E-TPI51 this is different. Node-RED PROFINET and TCP/IP support are installed natively on the system and not containers. This means mode 1 and mode 2 can be used a the same time. Node-RED PROFINET gets its PROFINET IP address assigned automatically by PLC over PROFINET and the second TCP/IP address you configure youtself in the web UI under network settings for interface "cifx0".

Now back to your question. Which of these modes do you want to use? I analysed your picture well, but I was not able to understand which mode you want to use finally. I see your blue network line and remark LAN / TCP/IP, so I suppose you want to use mode 2 only, right?

1. This question depends on mode 1 or 2. With mode 1 PROFINET it is always a 1:1. With mode 2 TCP/IP it is 1 : many, since you can use multiple s7comm nodes in Node-RED at the same time each using a different IP address to address multiple PLC over TCP/IP

2. In general a NL 50-MPI Ethernet to MPI/PROFIBUS adapter can address multiple PLCs at the same time while adapter has only a single IP address. To address subordinate multiple MPI/PROFIBUS PLCs have MPI/PROFIBUS address 2, 3 ,4 ... you have to follow the "rack" and "slot" scheme that is additional parameter of s7comm node or better said NL 50-MPI addressing scheme. The NL 50-MPI addressing scheme is explained in Hilscher's knowledge base here https://kb.hilscher.com/x/qKmKAQ

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Dear Armin,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Now I want to choose the mode1, means the netPI or NIOT-E-TPI51 as PROFINET device to exchange data over PROFINET protocol. So, it is always a 1:1 relationship between netIOT Edge Gateway and PLC Master, is it correct?

Best regards
Lingyue
In general a PROFINET device is assigned to a single PROFINET controller PLC. So it is always a 1:1 relations ship in the view of the device. But of course a PROFINET controller whereas can communcate to multiple devices the same time.

Only PROFINET devices which support controller redundancy support communication in fail over to two PROFINET controller as illustrated here: https://profinetuniversity.com/system-re...edundancy/. But neither netPI nor NIOT-E-TPI support PROFINET controller redundancy.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Dear Armin,

Thanks for your reply and explaination very much. I have a clearly understand about this question.

Best regards
Lingyue