• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD card full
Hi,

my netIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE has stopped running Docker because the SD is full (2% free).
This happened because I've been running a datalogging application from a long time.
Because Portainer doesn't start, I'm unable to free space.
What I've to do?

Thanks
Hi Peter, right now there is no possibility other than to restore the device back to factory settings using the system software from https://www.netiot.com/netpi/industrial-raspberry-pi-3/ along with an USB stick following this instruction here https://www.netiot.com/netpi/industrial-...-on-netpi/.

Since the Linux OS needs space for booting and also the applications like portainer an docker it is not able to start those and keep them disabled. Since netPI is a secured device it does not have any SSH access as usual Linux devices have. So there is no change to do any mitigation manually.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

There is another remark I have concerning data logging on netPI. netPI of hardware revision 2 has an industrial SD card with a duration of "384 Terabyte written (TWB)". This is a lifetime that needs to be taken into account when it comes to data logging in your application. netPI of hardware revision 1 has an industrial SD card with a duration of "96 Terabyte written" only.

So please make sure you are not overstepping this lifetime, else the file system is starting to get corrupt and netPI's SD card is destroyed and you need to send back the unit to us for SD card exchange which cost you overall around 150,-EUR. (75,-EUR for examination and 75,-EUR for replacement and retesting the unit in the production test). We have a tool where we can read out the SD card usage and can detect if a card is written to death or not.

Hi Armin,

thx for your quick reply. I'll reset my device.
(September-19th-2020, 11:04 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: There is another remark I have concerning data logging on netPI. netPI of hardware revision 2 has an industrial SD card with a duration of "384 Terabyte written (TWB)". This is a lifetime that needs to be taken into account when it comes to data logging in your application. netPI of hardware revision 1 has an industrial SD card with a duration of "96 Terabyte written" only.

So please make sure you are not overstepping this lifetime, else the file system is starting to get corrupt and netPI's SD card is destroyed and you need to send back the unit to us for SD card exchange which cost you overall around 150,-EUR. (75,-EUR for examination and 75,-EUR for replacement and retesting the unit in the production test). We have a tool where we can read out the SD card usage and can detect if a card is written to death or not.

Hi Armin,

unfortunately, I was not able to restore factory software. 

I've formatted 2 different USB key from a Windos PC, full format, FAT32, 16k
I was using the hilscher-niot-e-npi3-51-en-re-V1.2.0.0-recovery.zip, unzipping it into the usb device, using 7zip and ms explorer. So, in the root folder I can see some files and two directories (overlays and pre_overlays).
Rebooting the device nothing happens. The Act led blinks, but no restore is done.
Any suggestions?
Yes I know the anawer. The USB Stick you are using is not working with the Raspberry CPU.

The CPU is very critical concerning USB sticks. These sticks must boot very fast to be able to get deteced by the CPU after power on.

I am hearing about these problem quite often in the forum like chats "my update is not working". In 100% of all cases till today the root cause was always the USB stick.

So please try another USB stick. The best result I had was with USB 3.0 sticks (even if the ports are USB 2.0 ports)

Thx
Armin

(September-30th-2020, 04:25 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Yes I know the anawer. The USB Stick you are using is not working with the Raspberry CPU.

The CPU is very critical concerning USB sticks. These sticks must boot very fast to be able to get deteced by the CPU after power on.

I am hearing about these problem quite often in the forum like chats "my update is not working". In 100% of all cases till today the root cause was always the USB stick.

So please try another USB stick. The best result I had was with USB 3.0 sticks (even if the ports are USB 2.0 ports)

Thx
Armin

Hi Armin,

I've tried with another new USB 3.0 Stick(Sandisk Ukltra Flair 64GB) but without success. I've formatted with FATex and FAT but it is not detected.
If the problem is the USB Stick, could you please suggest a working one?

Thanks
FATex is not detected by Raspberry Pi CPU. It must be FAT32 in all cases.

I don't know if you have a Linux system operative. With Linux it is possible to format also large sticks like yours in FAT32 format.

Also please do not forget to name the volume "RECOVERY" else the stick is also not detected.

There is no netPI I know of where the update procedure did not work

This USB stick I am using personally: SanDisk SDCZ48-032G. We also use it successfully for our production process without any malfunction yet.

My stick is black colored, but I have also seen new revisions colored in red.

Thx
Armin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recovery for empty SD Card Dipro 6 3,933 April-7th-2022, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  compatibility btw RPi 3B and netPI regarding to microSD card tad 4 3,499 September-30th-2020, 09:09 AM
  Ready-to-deploy: full featured Node-RED container Armin@netPI 5 4,877 July-25th-2019, 06:16 AM
  [SOLVED] NetPI storage FULL flaminid 3 3,602 October-29th-2018, 08:05 PM