• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Powerlink firmware with netHAT and config nxd
Hello,

Even though Powerlink is not officially supported by netHAT, I've found that the netShield which uses the same chip has a Powerlink firmware.
I uploaded the Powerlink nxf and xdd files to my channel0 repository but because it's for the netShield I have the config nxd file missing.
The demo and sample detects the Powerlink firmware but my MN from openPowerlink won't recognize it in the network.

I was curious if this issue could be related to the missing config nxd. From what I understand, it's the configuration of the board, and each firmware seems to have a different config nxd so I guess it's also has relation with the protocol being used. Is it an absolutely necessary file ? What are the possible consequences of not using it ? If so could I generate one for Powerlink firmware ?

Thank you,
Hi,

any netX based device manufactured by Hilscher gets a unqiue manufacturing code during production time. When powered the boot loader of netX checks if this internal code matches to the code found in the firmware. If this code does not match the firmware will not be enabled to run by the boot loader. This is the reason why a firmware made for netSHIELD does not work on netHAT. This is not an config.nxd issue.

You are not able to build a Powerlink Firmware for netHAT yourself. When it came to netHAT 5 years ago we decided to make netX available to students also worldwide. We decided to develop netHAT. At this time we saw three most relevant areas in the world. They were US, Europe and Asia. And for all three areas we built firmwares: EtherNet/IP, PROFINET and EtherCAT. POWERLINK was not popular enough to develop it for netHAT.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hello Armin,

I will be very happy, if you could supply Powerlink Firmware for the natHAT module.

What speaks against it ?

Thanks for helping

Stefan
I did a comparison: I compared all netHAT provided firmwares published on the DVD image here https://www.netiot.com/fileadmin/big_dat..._0_0_1.zip with all the provided firmwares for netSHIELD here here https://kb.hilscher.com/display/NETX/Dow...tXFirmware.

The only difference I see is that the netSHIELD provided firmwares are time limited to one hour runtime before they stop. This is not the case for the full-featured firmwares coming with netHAT.

But basically I can confirm that both type of firmwares are interchangeable on a netX52 chip. This means the POWERLINK firmware made for netSHIELD will run instantly on a netHAT. This new information is against my first opinion I wrote in my previous post.

What I have seen as next is that netSHIELD web lading page/knowledge base just offers a user to get a netX52 configured along with an application in socalled "online" mode. There are several packet needed to be sent to the chip to get it operative. This is in contrast to the netHAT operating model which uses a database that is stored within the netX52 flash memory. This data base instantly configures netHAT when powered by an internal chip procedure. This does not need an application to configure the chip each time after boot from a user application.

Today I neither have an unlimited POWERLINK firmware for netHAT nor I have a database nxd file. We stopped all developments for netHAT 4 years ago. netHAT is just a teaser product for students and in no way we have the aim to make money with netHAT. But this in turn means we don't want to invest any work into this product any more while in the background the team is working on the new product "netHAT 90" which comes with a netX90 on board.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NetHAT SPI configuration thp9 1 731 June-10th-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  How can i set a EtherCAT node in netHAT 52-RTE? JGLee 6 881 June-9th-2020, 12:38 PM
  cifX drivers EtherCAT read/write performance with NetHat over STM32 thp9 21 1,311 June-5th-2020, 10:17 AM
  netHAT as Ethernet/IP Adapter with Codesys lstiegler 11 1,103 May-26th-2020, 06:40 PM
  netHat configuration via config packets pitau 6 737 May-25th-2020, 02:21 PM
  NetHAT temperature question thp9 1 683 May-14th-2020, 09:21 PM
  RedHat Firmware royazriel 3 688 January-28th-2020, 10:47 AM
  Using netHAT drivers with custom linux (not Raspbian) FrankS 5 766 September-11th-2019, 06:16 AM
  Use netPi firmware on netHAT zz_zesys 1 992 September-30th-2018, 08:04 PM
  NetHat Labview richielfc 1 819 August-10th-2018, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Simon@netHAT