• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting data from AllenBradley PLC
Well,  my situation is this:

Im working with some PLC's but the most are Allen Bradley, so I was wondering if with the netPI , I will be able to be logging data from the PLC's and sending them to a private DB (SQL SERVER)

I was thinking to run a OPC Server/client, I dont know which one is the correct to be loggin the PLC Data

Im willing to hear another options, thanks team.

If this is possible, I will be getting more that 10 nepPi devices to implement it on my area.
Well please tell me which type of OPC is in use, OPC DA or the new version OPC UA?
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(February-26th-2020, 07:37 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Well please tell me which type of OPC is in use, OPC DA or the new version OPC UA?
Well.. thats the problem there is not yet an OPC, thats why I was thinking to RUN the opc Server with netAPI to avoid the pc.

Because to stablished before the tags, items and groups I need a pc to host the opc right? or I have a wrong idea about OPC? so if  Im wrong how will the correct way to do it?
I know an immediate answer for Siemens PLCs but for Allen Bradley PLCs I don’t know to be honest. With Siemens there is an official programming protocol available that is used by the Windoes based programming software. This protocol is named RFC1006. And for this protocol a Node-RED node is available. Here is the link: https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-s7comm.
But unfortunately I do not know if a similar programming protocol exists for Allen Bradley PLCs and maybe a node similar to the one above. And then the answer would be easy to use such a node in a Node-RED environment and use it.
To come back to OPC: if the Allen Bradley PLC supports OPC US as a server - which I don’t know if it does - the I would recommend to install an OPC UA client node in Node-RED and to gather data from the PLC with it. Node-RED is the most easiest IoT tool to handle many many different Ethernet based protocols.
Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] Storing data on a (remote) database MGharat 20 20,429 June-13th-2022, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Read/write data from S7 with netPI over Profinet student 10 9,440 September-9th-2020, 04:59 PM
  Send Data to Specific Port via UDP Hoeber 2 3,362 July-29th-2020, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Hoeber
  PROFINET to OPC UA data conversion with Node-RED Armin@netPI 0 3,484 July-7th-2020, 12:20 PM
  Fetch data from S7 PLC Profibus DP MGharat 3 3,687 March-14th-2019, 11:21 AM
  IBM sensor data historian and analytics engine for the netPi AlexKoeMuc 0 2,275 November-28th-2017, 01:39 PM
Last Post: AlexKoeMuc