• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting two LAN network segments
Hello Armin,

Now we want to use netPI to connect MES system and the machine tool which on field at the same time. Both network are standard TCP/IP ethernet protocol, they are different network segment, but on our netPI just has one ethernet interface. We have considered the way to use WiFi. Do you have any other suggestions for this question? 

Looking forward your reply.

Lingyue
Which version of netPI do you use? I suppose you are using netPI CORE 3 (NIOT-E-NPI3-EN) with 1 single Ethernet port?

With option netPI RTE 3 (NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE) you have two additional ethernet ports. These two ethernet ports are usually used for Real-Time Ethernet communication in network such as PROIFINET, EtherNet/IP or EtherCAT. This feature is provided by the additional netX controller chip that is part of netPI RTE 3. This netX chip can also support standard TCP/IP.

But you need to program this Chip extra using a special Docker image https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/n...hernet-lan. This Docker image transfers the netX chip into a standard LAN chip. But netX chip is slower on TCP/IP traffic than a normal LAN controller chip. So please read the README of the Docker image under the provided link for more details.

With WLAN I feel it is not always stable for long term communications. I would prefer cable based communications in all cases. The Wifi connection is more for service and maintenance for a short period of time.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hello Lingyue,

I have an alternative for you. I checked using a device like this RTL8153.

Once I plugged it in my netPI (version 1.2.0.0 at least) I had an eth1 instantly. Maybe there are also mor robust USB to Ethernet converter available on the market.

Maybe there is also a device available from any other supplier like Beckhoff and device CU8880 which is more industrial like.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netPI not found in network, unable to ping FLorenz 1 3,135 December-13th-2022, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  connecting Mitsubishi via RS485 COswald 11 7,959 January-14th-2020, 10:58 AM
  Provide PCI slots to install additional network interfaces LIDONG 3 7,204 July-11th-2018, 06:23 AM