• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] netPI with Raspbian Desktop
Hi,

Good day,I would like ask whether netPI support raspbian desktop instead of the ssh and user pi. I have tried 3 containers : [hilschernetpi/netpi-raspbian] [hilschernetpi/netpi-desktop-hdmi] and [hilschernetpi/netpi-bluetooth] .Previously,I have my project all working fine with raspberry pi B+ with hilscher NXHAT52-RTE but since it is not in industry grade I need all of them working with netPI now. If not, is netPI-desktop-hdmi working same as raspbian desktop such as I can have bluez, python and nethat cpp running simultaneously?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,
firefly
Hi firefly,

netPI supports a lot of containerized applications. The repository of all containers and images is located at https://hub.docker.com/u/hilschernetpi/. There you find anything you need.

Regards
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(May-16th-2019, 05:14 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Hi firefly,

netPI supports a lot of containerized applications. The repository of all containers and images is located at https://hub.docker.com/u/hilschernetpi/. There you find anything you need.

Regards
Armin
Hi Armin,

I am using the repo https://hub.docker.com/u/hilschernetpi/ of course to dl the 3 containers I mention above, but my question is whether can I have a raspbian jessie(raspbian desktop) running on netPI. thanks

Regards
firefly
Hello firefly,

the Raspbian desktop was never build as a container for netPI. The reason for us is very simple. The Desktop container we provide for netPI today is so common that it runs also on our other devices that have Intel processor and ubuntu running. So there is a single Dockerfile build-script for all our Iot/Edge gateways whereas using a Raspbian Desktop would have bound us to Raspberry/netPI only.

Since all our containers we provide are just examples and opened on github in source code anybody is able to learn from them ... to be able build and create own containers later. So at any time you are free to create your own or modify exisiting containers in a copy. It is not that difficult.

Thx
Armin

(May-16th-2019, 07:51 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Hello firefly,

the Raspbian desktop was never build as a container for netPI. The reason for us is very simple. The Desktop container we provide for netPI today is so common that it runs also on our other devices that have Intel processor and ubuntu running. So there is a single Dockerfile build-script for all our Iot/Edge gateways whereas using a Raspbian Desktop would have bound us to Raspberry/netPI only.

Since all our containers we provide are just examples and opened on github in source code anybody is able to learn from them ... to be able build and create own containers later. So at any time you are free to create your own or modify exisiting containers in a copy. It is not that difficult.

Thx
Armin
Hi Armin,

Can I use netPI without the sealed SD card? such as I flash my own image (raspbian desktop) to the netPI just like the normal raspberry Pi and my netPI model is NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE.

Thx
firefly
Yes firefly you can.

Getting a netPI with SD card but unsealed can be received through Hilscher Headquarter only. You have to specifically order NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE Revision #2.

Do not destroy or format the unsealed SD card. It is bound to the serial number of your netPI. If it got broken recovery can only be done if the whole netPI is retruned to us and costs you at least 75€ handling costs. But of course you can use any own SD card and load it with your image instead.

Thx
Armin

(May-16th-2019, 10:43 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Yes firefly you can.

Getting a netPI with SD card but unsealed can be received through Hilscher Headquarter only. You have to specifically order NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE Revision #2.

Do not destroy or format the unsealed SD card. It is bound to the serial number of your netPI. If it got broken recovery can only be done if the whole netPI is retruned to us and costs you at least 75€ handling costs. But of course you can use any own SD card and load it with your image instead.

Thx
Armin
Hi Armin,

where can I get the customize netPI which can load raspbian desktop as my OS? Just to clarify that if I get the unselaed netPI from Hilscher I can use the raspbian desktop + netHAT51 as usual right?

Thx
firefly
Hello firefly,

as I said you get NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE Revision #2 through Hilscher. Contact information can be received here https://www.hilscher.com/.

NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE Revision #2 is not a customized netPI ... it is an official product which is not sold through Amazon or Hilscher Web Shop.

And yes with this type of product you can unscrew the 6 housing screws, open the housing upper part, remove the Hilscher default SD card and plug in your own private SD card with your software on.

Thx
Armin

Hi Firefly,

I want to highlight that meanwhile ALL netPIs are sold with an unsealed SD card (with Hilscher OS by default). So a special order is no longer needed. Just order netPI CORE 3 or netPI RTE 3 at Hilscher. You will get a #REV2 device automatically

Thx
Armin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Desktop LucioFiam 5 2,374 November-5th-2022, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Raspbian OS version of the latest hilschernetpi/netpi-raspbian tad 2 2,259 March-5th-2021, 11:25 AM
Last Post: tad
  netPI Desktop java Hochschulstudent 13 7,664 August-13th-2020, 08:33 AM
  netpi-desktop-hdmi with setting network=bridge tad 13 8,083 June-19th-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: tad
  [SOLVED] Help with fieldbus node Farani 5 3,874 August-20th-2019, 07:22 AM
  [SOLVED] How to update firmware philippbruhin.ch 12 9,091 July-16th-2019, 11:20 AM
Last Post: patrick
  [SOLVED] Docker issues AlexRegev 7 5,102 June-26th-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: AlexRegev
  [SOLVED] netPI stops working (502 - Bad Gateway) Andi 3 3,506 June-19th-2019, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Andi
  [SOLVED] WebConfig netpi-nodered-fieldbus JohnyD94 13 7,870 May-6th-2019, 12:20 AM
Last Post: JohnyD94
  [SOLVED] Diagnostic service MGharat 1 1,906 April-2nd-2019, 09:45 PM