• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB/Ethernet adapter
Hi there,

We would like to use a USB/Ethernet adapter.
Would it be possible to use it from a container ?
I suppose it will not be possible to use the Control Panel to configure its network settings. Could you confirm please ?
Then how to use it ?

Otherwise, maybe the solution is there ?
https://forum.hilscher.com/Thread-INFO-1...ut-SD-card

Thanks a lot for your kind support.

BR,
Stéphane
Hello Stephane,

a general answer cannot be given to this question. I would expet that in 99% of all cases those adapters do not work since a special driver needs to be intergrated into the Linux kernel. Not even under the original Raspbian there is a guarantee that it will work like this example thread shows: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...hp?t=26206

So it is not a question of the container and device mapping it is a general Linux question. We tested today a Lenovo USB to Ethernet converter with a debug image of netPI and Linux not even recognized the USB device once you plugged it in on Linux level. So if this basic condition is not met you can of course forget to get something running in a container. In general even if an interface would get recognized the web GUI if netPI would not be able to get the interface configured. The today's LAN menu is made for the interface eth0 only.

I agree that with an open version of netPI like you referenced in your thread could be an option and I propose a very simple test to you. Buy a Raspberry PI 3B, run a Raspbian with it and plug in your USB to ethernet converter and see what happens.

Regards
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hello Armin,

Thanks for your quick and informative, as always, answer.

>>Buy a Raspberry PI 3B... and see what happens.
I have done so since ages :
https://slo-ist.fr/tag/raspberry-pi

BR,
Stéphane
Yes I see, but what I am of course interested in is what happens to the Ethernet to USB adapter when you plug it in your RPi3? Will it be detected and instrumented as an eth1 port for example?
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(April-5th-2019, 07:13 AM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Yes I see, but what I am of course interested in is what happens to the Ethernet to USB adapter when you plug it in your RPi3? Will it be detected and instrumented as an eth1 port for example?

Hi Armin,

Sorry but it is in customer's hands and at the moment he has chosen the WiFi path.

I don't have any USB/Ethernet adapter to play with, so I can't give you any feedback.

Thanks for your kind support.

BR,
Stéphane

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  activate Ethernet cifx0 Christian_Rau 3 2,489 March-26th-2021, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  normal ethernet port using for Profinet MGharat 4 4,576 August-7th-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: hannes
  RTE3 Use real time ethernet as "normal" ethernet interface hannes 50 22,811 May-9th-2019, 04:28 PM
  niot-e-npi3-51-en (RS485 <-> Industrial Ethernet) merklethomas 6 4,635 April-26th-2019, 01:38 PM
  Modbus TCP Connection via RTE Ethernet Ports Flo_Lo 18 10,837 April-15th-2019, 09:50 PM
  IP Realtime Ethernet michu252 7 4,677 August-21st-2018, 10:41 AM
  Receive iot hub messages through MQTT adapter marcel 1 2,495 March-15th-2018, 05:56 PM
  usage of hilschernetpi/netpi-netx-ethernet-lan is working but costs 25% cpu power Michael_d 7 4,833 March-9th-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Michael_d