• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backups
How do I back up my netPI before upgrading the firmware?
netPI does not include any backup function because it is not needed.

All the relevant software of netPI that is worth it to be saved are the containers, right?

But netPI is just a Docker-Host executing only containers that are initially located somewhere else ... on docker registry servers, right?

So it is a matter of the customer to keep and maintain his containers correctly on his registry servers instead of the shifting this issue on netPI. But indeed in a coming version of netPI there is a function where you can make a snapshot of a current container and upload this to server. Today this function is not there.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Is there a way to save a container, once configured, to a remote device? Or is all of the configuration necessary each time a container is added? I understand that the images are stored on a repository, but configuration is necessary (Runtime, Restart Policy, Port Mapping, etc.) each time an image is added to a container. Will this be part of the function of the coming version?
Yes Steve this will come.

Please try a web session on portainer.io yourself at https://portainer.io/overview.html#demo

There you can test the latest version of portainer.io. Logon and create/deplay the container "hello-world" which is the most simplest container you can think of. The web session will load it.

When loaded click the container (which is stopped by the way) and scroll down. There you have a new option to create an image of any container that is on the system. This option t will create a snapshot which you can upload to any registry you want. This is exactly what you need.

Portainer.io in the latest version is on the roadmap.

You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)