• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Functional Earth
Dear Sir,

There is a Functional Earth (FE) pin in the power connector of netPI.

1) If netPI is used for AGV or so, what kind of adverse effects can be expected when FE is not connected?
2) What function does the FE work for?

The FE pin cannot be grounded to the ground, so I suppose it can be connected to the AGV chassis instead.
Is that correct?

Thank you very much for your advice.
Best regards,
Hi Tad,

We posted the original netPI schematics years ago in this thread: https://forum.hilscher.com/thread-253.html

There you see that PE pin goes to the metallic chassis only and is connected to + and - via protecting varistors.

The PE pin is exclusively made for those use cases when there is no guarantee that the DIN rail where the netPI is ususlly attached on is connected to PE. In this case you can use a cable with the PE pin and put/ground netPI to PE "manually".

So if customers DIN rail is put to PE already there is no need to use the PE pin.
Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Dear Armin,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Since the application of netPI is AGV, tires (rubber) are only in contact with the ground.
So, is there any problem if both the FE pin and the chassis are not connected to PE?

Thank you very much for your information.
Best regards,
Well Tad, if the chassis has no connection to any place where EMC can divert to then how shall I guarantee that netPI will continue to work: all official EMC tests we made in our/external laboratory where made under the condition that PE was present and disturbances on the cables or chassis can flow to earth over the PE.

In your case you are operating the device under a condition where we never made tests with. So how shall I know? No PE, no FE means to me lesser protection against EMC. This is not a thing you will recognized as a problem immediately ... but if the unit accidentially resets from time to time and restarts ... then you will know.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE Firmware 1.2.2.0 not functional COswald 3 3,308 February-4th-2022, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI