• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open VPN
Hi,

I am working on a VPN in NetPi, I looked different topics and proceed as below link.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/openvpn-as

as creating a container 
Code:
docker create \
 --name=openvpn-as \
 --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
 -e PUID=1000 \
 -e PGID=1000 \
 -e TZ=Europe/London \
 -e INTERFACE=eth0 `#optional` \
 -p 943:943 \
 -p 9443:9443 \
 -p 1194:1194/udp \
 -v path to data:/config \
 --restart unless-stopped \
 linuxserver/openvpn-as

after this, I get an error as attached screenshot, please guide me, how to solve.

Thanks in advance.

Br,

Devendra

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Your name you have given has no version. So you have to add a version to the name “openvpn-as’ I think. If you don’t Docker will always use the version “:latest” and it seems not to exist
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hello Armin,

I am able to configured, as attached screenshot, but not access. it is asking for the ovpn profile file.

please confirm me for the accessing netpi, my network or router must support VPN or install a separate application for VPN service?

Br,

Devendra

No your router do not need to support VPN. Your netPI is the VPN-Server. But what you need on your router is to configure port forwarding. The external VPN port coming from the internet needs to be forwarded to netPI IP address and hence to the installed VPN server.
Also when Open VPN server is running good on netPI it has a web interface to access and you can generate certificate for your Open VPN client.
Thx
Armin

Hello Armin,

I tried to connect netPi to OpenVPN application and web access but not able to connect, here i attached my OpenVPN-as docker container setting screenshot in excel, port forwarding done in the router attached screenshot, could you please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Br,
Devendra

.xlsx   Configuration screenshot.xlsx (Size: 384.03 KB / Downloads: 2)
Well before trying to connect to netPI VPN server over a router you should first connect to netPI VPN server via local network. By this method you can check fist of all if the VPN server in netPI works well.

So download the OpenVPN connect Windows application from here https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-windows/ to your workstation and install it. Then install OpenVPN certificate coming from netPI VPN server into windows application and press connect button. If everything works well, you know that netPI VPN server works well.

Only after this has been executed you can then configure the router and access from external over the internet ... but first a local check needs to be done.

(March-11th-2020, 05:39 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Well before trying to connect to netPI VPN server over a router you should first  connect to netPI VPN server via local network. By this method you can check fist of all if the VPN server in netPI works well.

So download the OpenVPN connect Windows application from here https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-windows/ to your workstation and install it. Then install OpenVPN certificate coming from netPI VPN server into windows application and press connect button. If everything works well, you know that netPI VPN server works well.

Only after this has been executed you can then configure the router and access from external over the internet ... but first a local check needs to be done.

Hello Armin,

My docker OpenVPN container configured correctly? please confirm me.

From where and how can I get an OpenVPN certificate from NetPI hardware VPN Server? from any directory or else.

what will be the user name and password of netPi to connect in OpenVPN connect application? same as accessing in putty or else.

Br,
Devendra

Attached Files
.xlsx   Configuration screenshot.xlsx (Size: 384.03 KB / Downloads: 0)
You need to make sure that your VPN server is running in the container.

Each container on netPI is generating a log file. You can watch the log file clicking the icon

Hi Devendra,

meanwhile I have doubts that this container can run on ARM CPU based device like Raspberry or netPI. If I read more details on the container readme I see it is only running on x86 CPUs and not on ARM CPUs.

We cannot use this container.

I went into the available OpenVPN tags everybody can load from Docker Hub and I see the only tag available is "amd64"

so this means there is no physical image available for ARM cpus. We cannot use it on Raspberry Pi or netPI.

But the readme says "armhf" is supported

but physically it is not. So sorry for this confusion. I did not check from the beginning the real availability of the different tags.

At home I am using the same OpenVPN Docker container successfully but at home I am running it on an AMD64 processor.

You need to look for an alternative OpenVPN container. I have no recommendation for you since I do not know any other container.

Thx
Armin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] hilschernetpi/netpi-nodered-fieldbus Fieldbus configurator can't be open Andreas 6 5,629 June-11th-2018, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Adressing netPI with IE11 over its hostname let Docker tile fail to open Armin@netPI 0 2,064 January-11th-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI