• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Codesys RTE profinet
Hi there, 
Im trying to get a profinet Balluff IO-Link Master connected to the rte port of my netpi RTE.

I managed to get codesys running, and Setup in the codesys dev environment.
I got the gateway up and running, btw. It did not work with the latest codesys runtime. I had to move back to version ...14... 
but now, when I try to choose a network adapter, it does not show the RTE ports, where the master is attached to. 

Can someone hook me up with a small tutorial, how to do this? 

Best regards
Philipp from Balluff :-)
Well Philip,

a word to the compatibility:

Indeed we confirmed compatibility to version ...14... here https://forum.hilscher.com/Thread-INFI-C...-confirmed. From our team nobody checked newer versions as far as I know. To be honest I even haven't recogizned that there is a new version avilable by the way. We have no trigger to follow the monthly Codesys releases and check the compatibility.

a word to the RTE ports:

The RTE ports of netPI RTE by default aren't doing "anything" until somebody loads a firmware into the netX controller chip driving the two port either in PROFINET, EtherCAT ... slave or in TCP/IP operation. So the Codesys container we offer today is plain Codesys that can run on netPI CORE as well and just needs the main single eth0 port. The container don't do anything with the netX chip. So what you need is a mix of the Codesys container and the Ethernet LAN container here https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/n...ernet-lan/.

a word of the speed of the RTE ports in TCP/IP mode.

If you read the README of the Ethernet LAN container carefully you will understand that the RTE ports TCP/IP throughput is limited. This is why Codesys will never get managed to drive a PROFINET master across it as also mentioned in this thread https://forum.hilscher.com/Thread-SOLVED...controller.

So this is how 100% of the customers I know of are doing it right now: they combine Codesys and Ethernet LAN setup in one container, they use the main eth0 port as the one that drives the real-time ethernet communications like PROFINET master and they use the two RTE ports as maintenance ports for the communication from and to the Codesys Windows Development System V3. The RTE ports and their throughput are most sufficient to drive that type of communication. The best of it in this use case is the embedded switch in the two RTE ports, so you can install netPI inline in any IT network structure without the need of a network switch.

Philipp since I see a demand for a combined Codesys and Ethernet LAN container it might be useful for customers to have such a container ready to load. I gonna check possibilites to develop such a container. If it will be a separate one or overriding the existing Codesys container I don't know yet.

I will keep you informed.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

The new version with RTE LAN support is uploaded and additionally compliance to CODESYS Control V3.5.15.x is confirmed.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Profinet to Siemens PLC j.langlois 4 3,503 January-26th-2021, 06:11 PM
Last Post: j.langlois
  Profinet name lost after reboot Dipro 7 4,802 November-16th-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Profinet stopped working (spidev spi0.0: SPI transfer timed out) Schranz 7 5,015 November-2nd-2020, 04:20 PM
  netPI profinet device name WalterSchaefer 2 2,487 October-7th-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: WalterSchaefer
  how to pick up PROFINET data and store them to OPC UA server on Node-RED/netPI. tad 7 5,570 March-16th-2020, 10:21 AM
  PROFINET IO startup compilation arpan.patel@slscorp.com 3 2,806 February-24th-2020, 12:47 PM
  PM - develope OPC UA Server using the Codesys Lingyue 5 3,994 January-17th-2020, 11:12 AM
  Profinet Startup Time Schranz 3 3,395 November-18th-2019, 03:22 PM
  Codesys 3.5.14.0 MGharat 5 4,058 October-31st-2019, 12:50 PM
  [INFO] CODESYS V3.5.15.0 compatibility confirmed Armin@netPI 5 4,981 October-13th-2019, 08:56 PM