Hilscher Community Forum
netFIELD OS Kernel Version - Printable Version

+- Hilscher Community Forum (https://forum.hilscher.com)
+-- Forum: netFIELD Edge - Cloud managed Docker supporting Edge Gateways (https://forum.hilscher.com/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Software (https://forum.hilscher.com/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: netFIELD OS Kernel Version (/thread-726.html)

netFIELD OS Kernel Version - Irina Grinberg - May-2nd-2021

Hi Armin,
I see that the current version of Netfield OS is based on Linux Kernel version 4.19.71.
According to this thread - https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3226
there is a UART issue fixed in Kernel version 4.19.97.

We encountered this issue using Raspbian OS on NetPi, and indeed updating the kernel solves it.
My question is - how often is Netfield OS updated with the latest kernel changes?

RE: NetField OS Kernel Version - Armin@netPI - May-2nd-2021

Hello Irina,

I am not sure if this post is in the correct category since you placed it in the "netFIELD Connect" gateway forum.

The gateway devices "netPI" and "netFIELD Connect" are looking the same but have different Linux OS software generation loaded.

1. If we speak about netPI then we speak about software generation V1.x and about netPI OS in the version 4.9.x of the kernel. It is not 4.19. and not all the version in between.

I suppose that the kernel panic you are referencing have not been seen in kernel 4.9.x. else I would have found a notice about it as well but I didn't. Independent of you kernel panice problem I am sorry to say that we will be keep going with kernel 4.9. for netPI product and will not change it any more. The software generation 1.x started in year 2016 is only maintained for heavy security reasons only. The big advantage of no need to hurry with all the updates in between is the usage of Docker and containers, since many security issues can be solved by just updating the containers only and not the OS itself.

2. If we speak about netFIELD Connect then we speak about software generation V2.x and this time about netFIELD OS and then about the version 5.4.x of the kernel. So also with netFIELD Connect we do not use version 4.19. So it seems that you are using your very own OS we can't say much about. Correct? The netFIELD OS in the version 5.4 is maintained ... we update it usually every 6 month. But still since netFIELD Connect is a Docker host, we have no hurry to update the OS so frequently

Thx
Armin

RE: NetField OS Kernel Version - Irina Grinberg - May-3rd-2021

Hello Armin,
Thank you for your reply!

As for the NetPi, I was using a regular Raspbian OS image, not the one provided by Hilscher with the NetPi itself.

I would like to move to the NetField, and there I assume we have an older version of the netFIELD OS.
Running the 'uname -a' command on it provided the following output:
Linux ntb827eb8c47f6 4.19.71-rt24 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Dec 17 14:50:30 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linu

I'll try running OS update on the NetField unit.

Thanks,
Ira.

RE: NetField OS Kernel Version - Armin@netPI - May-3rd-2021

Hello Irina,

I examined your device MAC ID in our database. Your device is a device NIOT-E-TPI51-EN-RE manufactured June 2020. It is a gateway of type "Connect" V1.x. It is not a "netFIELD Connect" gateway from the beginning.

I know we offered several software update packages a while ago to turn  "Connect" GWs into a "netFIELD Connect". I might be that we used a kernel 4.19.x at this time.

If you want to update your device to the very official and current netFIELD OS V2.1 then load the SWU file from here an use it with the OS update functin in the web-ui: https://kb.hilscher.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=126442744.

Thx
Armin

Hello Armin,

I ran the OS update using the following file -

netfield-image-niot-e-tijcx-gb-2.1.0.0.release-20201214162029.update.swu

And now this is what I see in the OS information (picture 1 attached)

But still the same Kernel version as before (picture 2 attached)

Should I try performing a recovery flow instead of the update flow using the following file? -

netfield-image-niot-e-tijcx-gb-2.1.0.0.release-20201214162029.recovery.swu

Thanks,

Ira.

Well Irina,

first of all I am wondering that you succeed to use the SWU file for the gateway NIOT-E-TIJCX-GB netfield-image-niot-e-tijcx-gb-2.1.0.0.release-20201214162029.update.swu which is for an Intel CPU based device we offer too.

The correct SWU file you have to use is netfield-image-niot-e-tpi51-en-re-2.1.0.0.release-20201214173520.update.swu.

Are you sure you have really used netfield-image-niot-e-tijcx-gb-2.1.0.0.release-20201214162029?

Thx
Armin

sorry, my mistake.
I meant
netfield-image-niot-e-tpi51-en-re-2.1.0.0.release-20201214173520.update.swu
 and
netfield-image-niot-e-tpi51-en-re-2.1.0.0.release-20201214173520.recovery.swu
accordingly.

Hello Irina,

I checked now my personal netFIELD Connect geteway which I had loaded with a release candidate of the netFIELD OS V2.2 but downgraded it now to version 2.1 and what shall I say ... my kernel version says also version 4.19 now as yours.

So this was my fault. I talked to the development team. The upcoming netFIELD OS V2.2 will consist of the kernel 5.4. It was a little misleading for me too ... I thought we used kernel V5.4 ever since netFIELD OS was brought to the market. But I was wrong.

The official netFIELD OS Version V2.2 will be released in the next 4 weeks. So I think you have to patiently wait for it until we release it on the same Hilscher knowledge base web site. Of ourse I will inform the forum community about the availability.

Thx
Armin