• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
netPI PROFINET IO Limitations
The example for Profinet defines 10 Byte for input and 4 Byte for output. As I understand this can be increased by editing the electronic data sheets for profinet. What are the actual limits of the card on the NetPi? For my use case I will need at least 256 Bytes input/output. Is this possible?
Hello Reimar,

just editing the GSDML-File is NOT enough. This is just the part for setting up the engineering software like Siemens TIA right ... but of course the example code needs to be adapted as well.

Please have a look to the App.h header file and there you find the definition of the application input and output buffers.

The limitation of the number of maximum input and output process data bytes you'll find in the PROFINET API programming manual located in the github project as well.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hey Armin,

thanks for your quick response. At first I tested the profinet example as is and it worked. When I update the header file App.h, recompiled the example and start the profinet example I get following error code: Error: 0xC0300133

See attached files.

Where else do I need to change the code to get it up and running with a cycle process input/output data and custom lengths?

Kind regards

Well, once again look into the programming manual and search for the exact error code. The explanation you find there is self explaining -> You have to adjust the overall maximum allowed input and output process data length as well. By default it is set to 10.

Doh, that was rather obvious. I was only looking in the cifx manual and not the profinet manual as well. Apparently this error code is only documented in the profinet manual. Now the example works with more bytes. Thanks :-)
Modified the Profinet source code to auto-adjust the maximum length automatically. Now you just have to change the values in App.h only

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Profinet to Siemens PLC j.langlois 4 3,503 January-26th-2021, 06:11 PM
Last Post: j.langlois
  Profinet name lost after reboot Dipro 7 4,802 November-16th-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Profinet stopped working (spidev spi0.0: SPI transfer timed out) Schranz 7 5,015 November-2nd-2020, 04:20 PM
  netPI profinet device name WalterSchaefer 2 2,487 October-7th-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: WalterSchaefer
  how to pick up PROFINET data and store them to OPC UA server on Node-RED/netPI. tad 7 5,570 March-16th-2020, 10:21 AM
  PROFINET IO startup compilation arpan.patel@slscorp.com 3 2,806 February-24th-2020, 12:47 PM
  Profinet Startup Time Schranz 3 3,395 November-18th-2019, 03:22 PM
  Codesys RTE profinet echteler 2 3,360 September-25th-2019, 09:56 AM
  normal ethernet port using for Profinet MGharat 4 4,636 August-7th-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: hannes
  Detecting NetPI in Siemens TIA via Profinet andrewc 3 3,791 April-11th-2019, 06:42 PM