• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 IoT
Hello

Can I also run Windows  10 IoT on the netPi?

Thanks!
(August-20th-2018, 03:44 PM)zippfel Wrote: Hello

Thanks!

Well, netPI RTE and CORE 3 as they come have both a sealed SD card with a fixed image using Linux OS as default OS. Hence the linux OS cannot be changed by anybody who is getting the "netPI" product as it is defined (since the SD card cannot never be removed again).

On the other hand: If you have OEM business in mind then you can get the hardware with no SD card installed at all. We define OEM business as term for a company that wants to run the hardware with own software and needs no SD card and no software from Hilscher. In additional there needs to be mentioned that in case of this OEM business we deliver the netPI hardware completely unassembled and you have to put everything together yourself, including your SD card finally. We call this netPI variant "Bare Metal" option.

I have tested Windows 10 IoT core myself on netPI. All OS Software that are listed here run on netPI by the way. You might have recognized that netPI RTE 3 supports a special network controller from us called netX. We have a driver for this chip ready for Linux only, not for Windoes 10 IoT core.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(August-20th-2018, 04:01 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote:
(August-20th-2018, 03:44 PM)zippfel Wrote: Hello

Thanks!

Well, netPI RTE and CORE 3 as they come have both a sealed SD card with a fixed image using Linux OS as default OS. Hence the linux OS cannot be changed by anybody who is getting the "netPI" product as it is defined (since the SD card cannot never be removed again).

On the other hand: If you have OEM business in mind then you can get the hardware with no SD card installed at all. We define OEM business as term for a company that wants to run the hardware with own software and needs no SD card and no software from Hilscher. In additional there needs to be mentioned that in case of this OEM business we deliver the netPI hardware completely unassembled and you have to put everything together yourself, including your SD card finally. We call this netPI variant "Bare Metal" option.

I have tested Windows 10 IoT core myself on netPI. All OS Software that are listed here run on netPI by the way. You might have recognized that netPI RTE 3 supports a special network controller from us called netX. We have a driver for this chip ready for Linux only, not for Windoes 10 IoT core.

Thx
Armin

But all the other drivers should work? For example the IO module Wlan etc..
Since netPI includes 100% the same schematics as a Rasberry Pi 3 B guaranteed, all the software that runs on a standard Pi 3 B runs the same on Bare Metal netPI.

Usually OEM customers want to try "Bare Metal" before buying it in quanties. There is a special evaluation netPI version available that comes assembled, but includes no SD card. Since those devices are all handmade they are more expensive than the ordinary netPI. Getting such a unit can only be organized across Hilscher Sales Team after they "understood" your application and your demand.

Thx
Armin

How do I communicate with the NPIX-4DI4DO module from Windows 10 IoT?
(August-21st-2018, 12:43 PM)zippfel Wrote: How do I communicate with the NPIX-4DI4DO module from Windows 10 IoT?

I don't know the addressing scheme of Windows 10 IoT Core and how it addresses pins of the BCM2837CPU ...

... but what I can tell you is that the output pins of the 4DI/4DO module connect to the following BCM CPU pins appended as picture DO.jpg

... and the inputs connect to these CPU pins physically appended as picture DI.jpg

We are using just pins you already should know of from the standard HAT Raspberry Pi 3 pinout scheme described here

So if you succeed to address pyhsical pins on your standard Raspberry Pi under Windows 10 IoT Core , it shouldn't be a problem to do the same with netPI hardware. Wink

Regards
Armin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using Windows Containers a.w.d.m. 3 2,606 July-16th-2019, 01:46 PM
Last Post: patrick
  Windows on netPi SteveO 1 2,097 April-10th-2018, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI