• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uninterrupted Power Supply
Hi there,

I have a question regarding the uninterrupted power supply (UPS). As of my understanding, the netPi doesn't come with a UPS. Is it possible to add a UPS to the netPi? We need the system to be able to safely shutdown when there is an (un)intended power loss.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas
Hello Thomas,

your understanding is correct. netPI is powered by external 24Volts and does not include any battery or similar circuits that could power it for a amount of time until is has shut down. So if you are asking about "is it possible to add a UPS" then I have to say no.

The only chance you have to put in between netPI and your main such as a MINI-DC-UPS/24DC/2 from Phoenix Contact.

Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(April-13th-2018, 07:22 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Hello Thomas,

your understanding is correct. netPI is powered by external 24Volts and does not include any battery or similar circuits that could power it for a amount of time until is has shut down. So if you are asking about "is it possible to add a UPS" then I have to say no.

The only chance you have to put in between netPI and your main such as a MINI-DC-UPS/24DC/2 from Phoenix Contact.

Armin

Hello Armin,

Bringing an old topic to life again. If one was to use a UPS as suggested above, in what way could you activate a shutdown when mains power was lost?
Hi Phil,

you need an input signal that indicates a coming power loss. In best case it is an physical input signal for the netPI software.

The only chance you have today is to extend netPI with a 4DI4DO module https://www.hilscher.com/products/produc...edge/3002/ in the slot at its bottom and react on its state from your container.

Since a container itself is not able to shutdown the netPI device you can "misuse" the netPI Web-GUI and its RESTful API to login to it from your container and "call" the shutdown command a human normally would call. https://forum.hilscher.com/Thread-Access...-HTTP-REST

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  instant power outage tad 2 2,656 May-5th-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: AbigailRoss
Information [INFO] Power connector part number Armin@netPI 1 2,862 March-2nd-2021, 09:15 AM
Last Post: tad
  3-pin terminal block for power supply tad 1 2,080 March-2nd-2021, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Power loss and removing power Armin@netPI 3 3,649 October-16th-2020, 06:32 AM
  RTC clock powered 7 days during power outages Armin@netPI 0 2,220 December-3rd-2017, 01:37 PM