• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] netPI Access Problem
Photo 
Hello all,

We are having a NetPi with model number NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE with which we are facing a problem to access. We tried connecting the device from browser using its Host Name, Using Windows explorer as well. When we tried accessing the device using a web browser we got the error  "The site can't be reached". When we check for devices in windows explorer, this device is not visible as well. The NS status LED on the device is glowing RED constantly. We checked the definition for this status in the user manual which states that "Duplicate IP: The device has detected that its IP address is already in use". This is a brand new device and we didn't modify any of its settings and are unable to figure out the reason behind the problem. Kindly help me out of this issue because I am very new to this product. Thanks in advance. 
Hello Rahul,

first of all a word to the LEDs. The upper LED bar with 4 LEDs (where the first LED is red on) is controlled by netPI's Industrial Ethernet network controller netX. The lower LED bar is controlled by the Raspberry chip.

When a netPI is manufactured and tested, then the netX chip is preloaded with PROFINET Slave function and tested against a PROFINET master (across the two ported RJ45 interface). If now a netPI is shipped to customers the PROFINET slave part gets unconfigured and this is why it turns on the red LED. So the status of your upper LED bar is correct and fine. In the lower LED bar the status should be as follows: the POW LED should be on, and the ACT LED should flash acyclically showing Raspberry CPU activity. Does this LED flash? In this case your netPI operates well.

Now back to your initial problem. You have to connect an Ethernet cable to the single upper RJ45 part to get contact to netPI. And to this Ethernet cable you have to connect a DHCP server in order to allow netPI receiving an IP address. Did you do that? Only if it got an IP address then the Hostname function you mention will work also.

Then to a problem another user was faced with: Please read this post to the end https://forum.hilscher.com/thread-234.html. Maybe you have a similar problem. It also mentions that netPI also support Apple's Bonjour service to get recognized

P.S.: To look at netPI's boot sequence you can also connect a display to netPI's HDMI port. You will see many logs until they stop when netPI is finished with its boot sequence.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hello Sir,

There was a problem with the settings in my DHCP server software i was using. Problem solved once i corrected that. Thank You very much for your explanation on the Status LEDs. I didn't find your explanation in the user manual. I am sorry if it is due to my oversight. If it is not, it will be really helpful to have that explanation in the user manual under the section Status LEDs. Thank you very much for your help.
(October-18th-2018, 10:57 AM)Rahulsagar Wrote: If it is not, it will be really helpful to have that explanation in the user manual under the section Status LEDs. Thank you very much for your help.

Well Rahul, it is documented. But you have to indeed know that by default we pre load the unit with PROFINET IO device stack for test purposes.

But never mind. The most important thing is that your unit is up and running.

Thx for your feedback

Hello Sir,

Now I actually bumped into an other issue. I accessed my NetPi and updated my password. Then I changed my LAN settings to Static and then set the IP as 192.168.1.10 and the subnet 255.255.255.0 with wifi disabled. Then I enabled Wifi and unknowingly configured an access point to the same IP address 192.168.1.10 and saved the changes. Now again I am unable to access the device from browser. This time the DHCP server software I am using also couldn't assign an IP address. I guess this is because in the LAN settings, I changed that to static. I know what I have done is stupid.  Now, how can i get out of this. Thanks in advance..
The only chance is to reload the system software onto your netPI with a USB stick as described in the FAQ.

The software for your USB image you download also from the main site https://www.netiot.com/netpi/industrial-raspberry-pi-3/

netPI does not have any reset or factory default button you can press.

Thx
Armin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netPI RTE + remote access + IO data access on ethernet/ip MGharat 1 2,168 December-24th-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  SPI access using extender Irina Grinberg 8 4,939 January-16th-2020, 03:15 PM
  [SOLVED] Problem with WIFI connection Farani 4 3,696 August-5th-2019, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Farani
Thumbs Up [SOLVED] Can netPI RTE3 support bluetooth? firefly 6 4,632 May-7th-2019, 05:03 AM
  [SOLVED] Memory storage MGharat 1 2,136 April-2nd-2019, 05:32 AM
  [SOLVED] Pin configuration Akhil 7 4,755 December-13th-2018, 07:30 AM
  [SOLVED] Information for pin connector Justin 9 6,683 November-12th-2018, 09:25 AM
  FRAM access marcel 1 2,747 March-15th-2018, 05:58 PM