• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Usage of overlay driver
Is it possible to use overlay driver using current portainer version of netpi. Its not working for me. And this leads to my second question if we can initialize the netpi node as a swarm manager?
Hello,

the question of an overlay driver/device trees is not a question of portainer/docker/container. An overlay driver on a Raspberry (netPI) is always a thing of the Host Linux depending on detected "parameters" set in the config.txt during the boot sequence. With those parameters the overlay drivers are loaded. A subsequent load of overlay drivers during runtine in a container/portainer is not possible.

The current version of portainer.io that you can test yourself on http://demo.portainer.io supports swarm technique. The version there is 1.18.1. On netPI we are currently using portainer.io in the version V1.12.4 that does not support swarm.

We have on the radar to switch portainer.io on netPI in future to the latest version. But the time schedule is not clear. I see a release by end of the year. So till then there is no swam supported.

You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hi Armin,
I am not sure if I understood it correctly but I am talking about the creation of the network in the docker engine using the overlay driver (Similar to bridge/host or macvlan drivers etc.). The container can then be connected to the virtual network when it runs but by default it is Bridge network.
Thanks
Ok. I thought more of real overlay drivers for USB devices or for raspberry HAT modules that are loaded during kernel boot.

If I follow the documentation https://docs.docker.com/network/macvlan/ I see that starting this capability needs some more parameters like "--subnet" "-o" and so on when starting a container. Today portainer.io web GUI does not support entering those parameters when a container started. So my conclusion is that it will not work with todays version.

I investigate the MACVLAN network option issue. MACVLAN option can only be provided by portainer if docker runs in swarm mode. But on netPI docker is not running in swarm mode and there is no intention to enable it. This is why MACVLAN will not be supported.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  netX linux driver Irina Grinberg 4 3,470 May-7th-2020, 01:33 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  [SOLVED] Help with fieldbus node Farani 5 3,873 August-20th-2019, 07:22 AM
  [SOLVED] How to update firmware philippbruhin.ch 12 9,081 July-16th-2019, 11:20 AM
Last Post: patrick
  [SOLVED] Docker issues AlexRegev 7 5,101 June-26th-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: AlexRegev
Question Driver for RS485 (netPI) ArteLukas 5 7,389 June-25th-2019, 07:10 AM
  [SOLVED] Diagnostic service MGharat 1 1,905 April-2nd-2019, 09:45 PM
  [SOLVED] NPIX-DIDO MGharat 2 5,901 March-13th-2019, 06:06 AM
Last Post: MGharat
  [SOLVED] Access problems Azzamjj 8 6,931 January-25th-2019, 07:43 AM
  [SOLVED] Portainer.IO. cannot log in JZijlstra 2 3,380 January-10th-2019, 06:04 PM
Last Post: JZijlstra
  [SOLVED] Boot from usb stick Jonas.Sellmann@outlook.de 1 2,719 November-21st-2018, 04:11 PM