• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Push / Get Images from NetPi
Hello,

is there an opportunity to push images from NetPi to Docker Hub or to copy the images to a local machine.
I know that the NetPi should be used as production system only and that the development should be done on a normal raspberry pi, but somestimes I have to make some modifications in the container afterwards.

Thanks in advance,

Jonas
Yes Jonas,

I agree. Pushing images is disabled on netPI and it reports "success" always even it internally it doesn't push anything. I have addressed this topic now in the development team and I will update you when I will be releasing the next software that supports pushing docker images.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Jonas, with software version V1.1.3.0RC3 pushing an pulling images from/to a Registry is now possible.

Hello Armin,

Can you please show me the steps how to push image from portainer (netPI) to Docker Hub?
I've modified an existing Image and created a new one using the option 'Create Image' from existing Container on Portainer, and now I would like to Push it on Docker Hub.

Thanks,
Vlerant
Hello Vlerant,

at the current stage netPI is just a Docker host device only able to pull Docker images hosted somewhere else but it is not able to push to registries such as Docker Hub.

The reason is as follows: I agree that portainer in the version 0.12.4 used on latest version of netPI has to option to create an image from an existing and running netPI container. If you execute it then it is locally stored on netPI. But then whenever to try to push it to a repository you can specify it but it will fail because in no menu pane of portainer you have the possibility to enter the repository user login and password. This has changed in current portainer versions which we have not implemented on netPI because of several reasons.

So in the end this means ... develop a container ready to use on Docker Hub or on a local repository for you immediate use with all the contents you need and from there you pull it on netPI. So basically there you never be a need to push containers from netPI to any other location.

Hello Vlerant,

I tried to access netPI's portainer.io from remote using its provided RESTful API over http request. So I do not use the Web GUI in this case. The RESTful API offers indeed ALL Docker functions and this allows you to push images from netPI to Dockerhub registry for example.

I will provide a simple to understand Node-RED flow that shows many functions that can be used and also the API command to push an existing from netPI to Docker hub.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exporting and importing container images Armin@netPI 3 3,067 May-20th-2020, 11:24 AM
Last Post: COswald
  Multi-stage builds for slim container images Armin@netPI 0 1,540 February-7th-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  [SOLVED] Building Custom Images for Netpi Rahulsagar 2 3,257 December-17th-2018, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Rahulsagar
  Docker push SebastianSoller 2 2,476 August-22nd-2018, 08:26 PM
  Kann keine Docker Images laden rjenni 1 2,512 January-25th-2018, 09:23 AM
  Loading times for images from Docker Hub Armin@netPI 0 1,895 December-3rd-2017, 01:47 PM
  Build automated images on Docker Hub Armin@netPI 0 1,986 November-23rd-2017, 07:32 PM