• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Package installation
How do I install a pip package on the debian hilscher agent?
Hi Steve,

Pip is a Python package manager as it is described here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip_(package_manager). Is it that what you mean?

The term debian hilscher agent, we have to have a common understanding about it. netPI contains a package manager in the Edge Gateway Manager web GUI where you can install *.deb packages. Is it that what you mean?

Please explain your use case, maybe then it is clearer which direction you want to go.

From what I can deliver today as information is:

1.) netPI has a package manager integrated in its web-gui that allows to install deb file formatted packages and of course not any files that are in the pip file format. These packages can update components of the main system software
2.) netPI has no Python installed by default. netPI's software consists of two components only. This is the Linux Kernel 4.9+ and the user space application Docker. Other user space components like node.js, c#, c++, Lua, Python, Node-RED, java etc. needs to be installed extra using a container.
3.)So if the use case is to have Python installed on netPI that enables installing pip package then you have to create your own container that comes with Python installed

Thx
Armin

You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Step 1 - Installed sshd (ssh server package on Linux debian)
Step 2 - added user "gemadmin" and was able to ssh using this user.
Step 3 - Installed python 2.7 (this is the version that we want to work with. It is a hard requirement)
Step 4 - Installed python-pip by using command --> sudo apt-get install python-pip. was able to install pip version 1.5.6
Step 5 - When installing further packages like "sudo pip install crypto", "sudo pip install paramiko" or any of the packages using pip installer, It gives error in attached file..

Tried few trouble shooting steps like
a) Bypassing the certificate that it is using for validation.
b) manually giving the version of the pip to upgrade it.
c) Uninstall and reinstall manually using the downloaded pip package.
None of the above worked.
Here is the error:
[admin@NTB827EBC7:~$ sudo pip install --upgrade pip
Cannot fetch index base URL https://pypi. python.org/simple/
Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement pip in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Downloading/ unpacking pip
Cleaning up. . .
No distributions at all found for pip in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Storing debug log for failure in / root/ . pip/ pip. log
[admin@NTB827EBC7:~$ sudo pip install --upgrade
You must give at least one requirement to install (see "pip help install")
[admin@NTB827EBC7:~$ sudo pip install --upgrade pip
Cannot fetch index base URL https://pypi. python.org/simple/
Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement pip in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Downloading/ unpacking pip
Cleaning up. . .
No distributions at all found for pip in /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages Storing debug log for failure in / root/ . pip/ pip. log
[admin@NTB827EBC7:~$
Hello Steve,

I will try to reconstruct you problem on my Raspberry Pi 3. Can you please tell me which container you are using as base container where you make all the installations like ssh and python etc. The best thing of docker and containers is that everything works the same on any platform like on yours and should be easily reproducible.

Since I am no expert of python as a user application, I cannot guarantee any positive result in getting installed everything you want. But I will try my best.

In general we are not responsible for container applications and how to get them installed properly. This is a responsibility of the developer that creates the container and digging into details with help of google search engine to get progress

Hi everyone! I am try to up this image from https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetiote...evelopment into netpi, the deployment is it done sucessfully, however when try to connect on console or ssh , the container restarting.. show the following message error: ontainer dc26fd6345c1c38a2f54c811bb0c90fbda13bb5e2ec5a1e7c89eadca8e69f8f7 is restarting, wait until the container is running...

help me please!

BR
Tulio
Oh this container is wrong. This container is compiled to be used on x86 processors (device NIOT-E-TIJCX-GB) and will fail to start.

You will see an error in the containers log output using netPI's Docker managment web UI. Go to the overview list for containers. For each container there are 4 tiny little icons printed per line in the row "Quick actions". There is one icon called "Logs". Click it and you will see an error in the output window for sure. This is by the way a common way to look to container console output even with running containers.

What I recommend to you is to use the following Raspbian OS container: https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/hilsch...-raspbian/

Thx
Armin