• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues Updating the netPI
My netPI did not start an update with the recovery system Image provided on the homepage. I used the way of Resetting to factory default via USB-Stick (as described FAT32) and tried different USB 3.0 and 3.1 devices.
While powering on I had a monitor connected to get more information, but the only thing I can see is a normal boot. In the beginning of the boot sequence, it shows that no storage device is detected (see attechment).

Does the USB-Stick needs to be recognized in this stage as a storage device? What is a possible way for me to update my system image?
We had also several USB sticks that are not recognized bei netPI Linux boot process at all.

Even with the deepest examination where the problem is coming from we found no reproducible parameter setup that causes this problem. So far all USB 3.0 sticks we examined till today worked fine. This is the first time that somebody is complaining about a USB 3.0 stick not working.

Your screen shot sent shows indeed the normal boot process. netPI scans the USB ports the first 2-3 seconds after powering and shows the number of detected USB devices during boot process.

But please take care about that you need to rename the stick to volume name RECOVERY. Have you done that? Also take care that it needs to be formatted FAT32.

Next to using the USB stick as you intended there is no other way implemented to update netPI's system software.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

My problem was easily solved by using a partition manager on linux insted of trying to format my usb on Windows. Obviously it is not enough to do the formatting to FAT32 with the standard Windows method.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Oh indeed I heard from another user that he had to format his USB stick not in a quick session but in a full format session under windows.

I was never able to reproduce what he said. Just to let you know.

Now you are the second telling us nearly the same thing.

Thank you.

Hello,
seems I have the same issue. I wanted to run the recovery. I formatted a stick in the full format session and FAT32. It is the same stick which I have already used previously on a nother pi without any issues.

It seems that it tries to start the recovery but it ends with the error message: Can't get kernal image.
Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason?

For some reason I cannot attach a picture. I have uploaded it to our company cloud.

PW: pi

https://hcloud.horiba.de/index.php/s/KXKz663XegOiIFY
Hi there,

I watched your screen shot. Based on the screen shot I cannot detect whether you are using a netPI RTE 3 or CORE 3. Please comment on this question.

I gree that your netPI must have recognized the USB stick correctly. So this is not the problem I and other users have seen before that a USB stick was basically not recognized at all.

This time here there seems to be an inconsistency with the image found on the stick. I tried my best to get it resonstructed with my netPI, but independend which of the files I made corrupt on my image netPI bootloader either detects it and stop at a different position or doesn't boot the stick... but in all cases I cannot make it happen like your screen shot shows.

What I can see from the screen shot is that the "data hash" check fails. I am also wondering why the fitimage is indicated as 22798106 bytes while for the netPI RTE 3 for example the file is 22780242 bytes long on the image.

Are you sure that you copied the files in a 1:1 copy onto your usb stick? Did you try another stick?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  https certificate issues in new nodered docker image Dipro 1 1,666 May-4th-2022, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  NPIX-4DI4DO and NetPi-Nodered container issues alhammi 4 7,605 November-16th-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: alhammi
  Network issues after upgrading to Stretch + kernel to 5.4 carmel85 2 3,021 July-28th-2020, 03:04 PM
  USB camera issues dcatteeu 9 5,229 September-16th-2019, 01:54 PM
  [SOLVED] Docker issues AlexRegev 7 5,111 June-26th-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: AlexRegev
  Updating of many devices remotely Johannes 6 4,623 November-1st-2018, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Johannes