• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet/IP usage
Hello,

I am having trouble getting my netHat to work correctly. I have exhausted all other avenues of help; I have gone through the user guide several times, looked through all the RPi forums, Googled loads and actually phoned Hilscher etc.

I have light experience in Linux (as in I have used it a bit but am in no way a power user), so there may very well be an easy step that I have missed.

My setup is a RPi 3B+ with the netHat on top running the latest version of Raspbian. I have followed the installation steps for the driver and firmware, to a state where the SYS LED is a constant GREEN, and the COM0 LED is flashing green. I am using a known-working Ethernet cable to connect to my LAN running a DHCP server. If I connect the cable into the Ethernet port on the RPi, a connection is established and I can browse the Web etc. However, when I use the cable in either of the netHat ports, nothing happens. I have no internet connectivity (my browser can't resolve an address) and the taskbar icon shows I am disconnected.

I have listed the interfaces with command "ifconfig" and the only ethernet device I see is eth0, which is the RPi onboard one. I would have expected there to be 2 further ones listed. Is there a step I am meant to do post driver and FW install to initialise that?

Can anyone suggest steps to resolve this please?
Thanks,
Robyn
Hello Robin,

netHAT is a module that adds support for Real-Time Ethernet protocols such das PROFINET, Ethernet/IP and EtherCAT to a standard Raspberry Pi. Is that clear to you?

And loading one of those examples provided on the DVD located here in the download section: https://www.netiot.com/interface/nethat/ turns the dual-LAN ports of netHAT in no way into standard LAN ports you are used to as with eth0 of your Raspberry Pi 3 board.

So if you want to add 2 additional standard LAN network ports next to the single one provided by Raspberry board then netHAT is defitinively the WRONG device for you. I am sorry to say.
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(February-15th-2019, 05:29 PM)inovahw Wrote: I have listed the interfaces with command "ifconfig" and the only ethernet device I see is eth0, which is the RPi onboard one. I would have expected there to be 2 further ones listed. Is there a step I am meant to do post driver and FW install to initialise that?

This is normal.

netHAT's driver do not create any ethernet interfaces such as eth0. Since the whole Real-Time Ethernet protocol (PROFINET, Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT) stack is handled in netX chip that's used on netHAT the driver just connects to two buffers of netX and writes output data to one and reads input data from the other. Sending and receiving this data is task of netX and he exchanges the data finally with the PROFINET master or EtherNet/IP scanner or EtherCAT Master.

The headline of this thread is "EtherNet/IP usage". Which EtherNet/IP scanner are you using? Allen Bradley, Rockwell?

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

(February-15th-2019, 06:09 PM)Armin@netPI Wrote: Hello Robin,

netHAT is a module that adds support for Real-Time Ethernet protocols such das PROFINET, Ethernet/IP and EtherCAT to a standard Raspberry Pi. Is that clear to you?

And loading one of those examples provided on the DVD located here in the download section: https://www.netiot.com/interface/nethat/ turns the dual-LAN ports of netHAT in no way into standard LAN ports you are used to as with eth0 of your Raspberry Pi 3 board.

So if you want to add 2 additional standard LAN network ports next to the single one provided by Raspberry board then netHAT is defitinively the WRONG device for you. I am sorry to say.

Hi Armin

Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I was worried about  Sad I did wonder this before purchasing the item, but the way I read all the documentation and marketing I thought that it would, mainly because of it referring to Ethernet/IP. In my mind that indicated that it would behave like an additional LAN port.

What a shame, as this product was the only Hat based product to add LAN ports to a Pi so now my project is ruined :/

Anyway, thanks for the information.
Regards,
Robyn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nalyzing Ethernet/IP traffic jpeces 1 123 June-13th-2018, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Simon@netHAT