• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errormessage when trying to connect to wifi.
We are struggling to connec't the NetPi to the WLAN of our client.

The control-panel yields following error-message:

Passwords or encryption keys are required to access the wireless network 'hegg_corp'. Warning: password for '802-11-wireless-security.psk' not given in 'passwd-file' and nmcli cannot ask without '--ask' option. Error: Connection activation failed

We can connect to the raspytest net, which we setup for test. since we do not have access to further settings we don't have any ideas what to try next?
I have a question. Does this network need NO password?

On netPI only Wifi networks with password access are supported only. Could this be the reason why it does not work?
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

409 Wrote:I have a question. Does this network need NO password?

On netPI only Wifi networks with password access are supported only. Could this be the reason why it does not work?

It's a password protected WiFi. It's a corporate WiFi with multiple access points. As you can see in the screenshots, the NetPi sees the hegg_corp net twice with the same MAC address. Could it be, that it can't handle multiple accesspoint networks?

We created now a dedicated wifi with it's own router just for the NetPi. This works, but it's not really the desired solution...
Well that netPI is scanning for all access points and show them all is normal. It is the same as here in our office. I see our office WiFi hot spot 3 to 4 times.

Dependent on the emitted power level and the physical distance to the netPI the level of intensity varies from 100% to less %. The closest point has always the highest level. So this can't be the root cause of this problem. I will now ask the development team if they have an idea.

I will let you know my results immediately.

We were able to reproduce the error.

The companys wifi password contains a "$"-character, which seems the root cause of the problem. other special characters seem to work. i attached the testresults under my text.

since we are not able to change our clients wifi password, it would be great if you could fix this in a future release.

Tests from Jan with a test-wifi:

dnoo$89201 funktioniert nicht
$dnoo89201 funktioniert nicht
dnoo89$201 funktioniert nicht
dnoo89201$ funktioniert
dnoo?89201 funktioniert
dnoo‘89201 funktioniert
dn#oo89201 funktioniert
@dnoo89201 funktioniert
Thank you for evaluating this problem deeper. We had indeed no clue where your phenomena was really coming from.

A short test I did some minutes ago showing indeed the same problem here with my iPhone at a simple hotspot test with password 12345$78 failing and 12345678 working.

I have informed the development team about it.

We found the root cause of this problem and are investigating.

Expecting a new system software released in two weeks.

We have corrected this problem in software version V1.1.3.0RC3 that we have released yesterday.

514 Wrote:We have corrected this problem in software version V1.1.3.0RC3 that we have released yesterday.

thank you !!
Thank you!! for finding it out what the root cause of this problem was.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NetPI WiFi through Internet DSongra 1 1,944 September-7th-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  NetPI wifi access to WPA2-Enterprise MikeP 4 4,252 September-3rd-2021, 02:56 PM
Last Post: MikeP
  wifi MAC is changing j.langlois 3 2,710 January-26th-2021, 04:23 PM
  [SOLVED] after WIFI enabled - no access paubau 7 5,043 August-30th-2018, 02:04 PM
  Connect to PLC without knowing IP paubau 12 8,574 August-22nd-2018, 03:06 PM
  Connect without DHCP SebastianSoller 15 8,897 August-21st-2018, 06:55 AM
  Node-Red MQTT with SSL/TLS can't connect to broker BFH_SAM2 6 5,464 May-18th-2018, 08:48 AM
  [SOLVED] Wifi in a Container iotuser 5 3,976 March-23rd-2018, 01:39 PM