• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analogue Signals
Hello,

I am planning to use the netPI RTE 3 to collect and process data from a production environment.
There are also some analog sensors that I would like to read the signals generated by. Is there a possibility to acquire data from those analog signals with the netPi or is there another way like an extension, for example?

Kind regards,

Hoeber
Hi there,

the netPI has an expansion slot at its bottom where you can insert modules called NPIX.

We have several modules released yet and there was indeed an analog voltge input module planned measuring from -30VDC to +30VDC but because of the low demand of this type of module we have not released it.

So I am sorry to say, that there is currently no solution to connect analogue sensors to netPI

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hello Armin,

thank you a lot for the fast reply! Too bad it was not released.

I have another question in this regard:
Assuming I would acquire the sensor signals via another network-capable device with analog inputs like an arduino or similar. Could I then send the data via ethernet-connection to the netPi and process them? Would you consider that to be a proper work-around?

Kind regards,

Hoeber
Yes this is possible in any case.

The arduino just has to get a valid ip address that is reachable by netPI and also it needs a TCP/IP based protocol to transport this information. In best case it supports an MQTT client for example and in netPI there is running an MQTT broker and the arduino is then publishing the data to the netPI MQTT broker where the netPI application is subscribing to and receive the data whenever it changes.

If I were you, I would do all this with the IoT tool Node-RED plus a MQTT broker Mosquitto.

Of course you could also use Modbus TCP and install on arduino side a Modbus TCP server and on netPI a Modbus TCP client. But how you solve it is up to you.

Thx
Armin

Hello Armin,

thank you very much, I really appreciate your help!

Kind regards,

Hoeber
The two application software I mentioned before are available already containerized:

Node-RED: https://hub.docker.com/r/nodered/node-red
Mosquitto MQTT Broker: https://hub.docker.com/_/eclipse-mosquitto

Both are installed in just 10 minutes on netPI. Node-RED already includes an MQTT client. Then you have all you need.

If you give the mosquitto container the name "mosquitto" during deployment for example then you can directly address it within Node-RED MQTT client over "mosquitto" instead of entering the local containers IP address. The Docker internal DNS server automatically redirects it to the container's IP address.

Thx

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NPIX signals MikeP 1 2,377 November-8th-2021, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI