• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32 vs 64 bit OS
Hi,

I currently have a Raspberry Pi 3 model B to develop software that will run on the NetPi. The Raspberry Pi 3 model B has a 64 bit processor but runs a 32 bit OS. The NetPi has the same processor as the Raspberry Pi, but a different OS. 

1. Does the NetPi run a 32bit or 64bit Yocto Linux?

2. If it is a 64bit OS, I'd like to run a 64bit OS on the Raspberry Pi as well. What do you recommend?

Thanks,
david.
Hi David,

on the netPI runs a 32bit Yocto Linux.

Best Regards
Patrick
Well, since the Raspberry organization does not offer a 64bit Linux distribution of their Raspbian - which is the basis of our Yocto Linux - for us alone it would be too much effort to build a 64Bit Yocto Linux.
I read in some articles on the web anyway that the speed acceleration would not not much compared to 32Bit anyway ... so it is waist of time to invest into 64Bit OS especially if you think of loosing all the compatibility of all ever written 32bit application software and drivers at the same time.

Thx
Armin
You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hi,

Indeed, driver and software compatibility is the only thing I was concerned about.

Thank you for the feedback!
david.
Hello David,

I want to come back to you concerning 64Bit support. You know we have also netPI's available without any SD card. With those you can run any Raspberry Pi 3B compliant software you want.

Meanwhile the company Balena.io has released a 64Bit armv8 OS for Raspberries as you can read from this news https://www.balena.io/blog/balena-releas...erry-pi-4/

I tried it myself and loaded a 64Bit Debian Linux as container onto it

Code:
docker pull arm64v8/debian:stretch-20190708

With this OS and the 64bit container I confirm the Pi 3B CPU is running 12 times faster when using the benchmarking tool  "strace" than under 32 bit armh7f conditions. Very impressive.

We will be waiting for the Raspberry Foundation to release a new 64Bit supporting Raspbian version too. Then we will be considering for sure to provide new Hilscher 64Bit software for netPI as well afterwards.

Thx

Meanwhile also the Raspbian Foundation is offering a 64Bit OS. See my post here https://forum.hilscher.com/thread-520.html

Hi Armin,

are there any plans for a 64Bit netField OS in the future? As influxDB 2 currently only has 64Bit images one is stuck to 1.x, which is a quite recent example.
We need to distinguish two things.

The netPI OS is NOT what we call netFIELD OS. netPI OS is a software generation V1.x (kernel 4.9) whereas netFIELD OS is software generation V2.x (kernel 5.4) and it is running on the hardware compatible device "netFIELD Connect" gateway only.

Nevertheless because of compatibility reasons we will be remaining with both the netPI OS and also with the netFIELD OS for the netFIELD Connect gateway in the 32Bit version.

A netFIELD OS version in 64Bit comes to the discussion when we are talking about a complete new hardware generation based on the Raspberry Pi 4 CPU.