• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Network Ports possible on NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE?
We are currently testing if the NIOT-E-NPI3-51-EN-RE is suitability for some projects. We need 3 LAN ports.
The first Ethernet port is no problem. But we need two more ports. First one of the two Fieldbus ports (IN CH0) running with your docker image hilschernetpi / netpi-netx-ethernet-lan fine. Is it possible to use the third port (OUT CH1) as a separate LAN adapter also?
An additional device entry /dev/spidev0.1 did not succeed.
Yes this is no problem.

I made an example container here https://hub.docker.com/r/hilschernetpi/n...ernet-lan/ that turns the industrial ethernet controller in a standard 2-ported and switched ethernet internet interface.

Along with the container a link on Docker hub links you to the source code of the container. There you can see how to enable this possibility in terms of firmware and driver.

You never fail until you stop trying.“, Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Hi Armin, thanks for your Reply.
As i described above i tested these image before i posted my question here.
But i only see eth0 and cifx0. And also i see that both ports of netx51 answeres to the same ip from cifx0.
My hope was to get 2 extra NICs so i can use eth0, cifx0 and eg. cifx1 and that it's possible with some configuration things. I looked into the Dockerfile, entrypoint.sh and cifx0daemon.c but i have no idea what's to do coming an solution closer.
Hello Yulian,

I am sorry to say that the both network ports driven by industrial network controller netX51 are switched always.

This is why you see the single communication interface X = cifX0 sharing a single IP address.

You have no chance to create three network ports of netPI RTE 3.

Hello again and thanks for your reply.
Is it possible to integrate a third network port with the expansion slot/module?
I know thats not an mini PCIe Interface, only the Slot. But see you any chance that it can be happen?
With a third network port you mean a third and independent network port with a separate IP address I suppose?

The expansion port is not able to driver an additional ethernet network port. But you are correct that indeed this expansion slot is based on a minPCI express socket but we are just using the connector cause it is so smart and delivers enough pins. But there aren't any pins to drive an Ethernet port.

Ok, so in conclusion the only way is to use an USB-Ethernet Adapter.
Not very nice but a way.
To make clear why i'm sitting on that third NIC-Port:
i will use the little nice Box as a network monitoring proxy. But there are operating, automation and profinet networks and i'm willing to scan all three.
But any USB to Ethernet adapter your are referencing needs a kernel mode driver on the linux host. For example for my Levono Thinkpad USB to Ethernet adapter not even a linux driver exists. It is made for Windows use cases only. netPI by default does not support drivers for USB to Ethernet adapters.

So you cannot include a third USB-Ethernet Adapter in netPI's infrastructure as you intend it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NIOT-E-NPIX-RS485 LucioFiam 6 3,996 January-21st-2023, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Armin@netPI
  Remot VPN connection from netPI to company network JG_KIT 6 2,907 July-8th-2021, 02:55 PM
Last Post: JG_KIT
  2 MAC addresses for fieldbus RJ45 ports tad 2 2,102 March-11th-2021, 01:17 PM
Last Post: tad
  NIOT-E-NPIX-4DI4DO with netpi-netx container WalterSchaefer 3 6,478 November-25th-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: zen89
  Network issues after upgrading to Stretch + kernel to 5.4 carmel85 2 3,014 July-28th-2020, 03:04 PM
  Fieldbus Ports not working Schoko 13 8,527 June-29th-2020, 09:43 PM
  netpi-desktop-hdmi with setting network=bridge tad 13 8,086 June-19th-2020, 12:50 PM
Last Post: tad
  VPN tunnel to netPI and local network in 10 minutes Armin@netPI 0 2,210 June-5th-2020, 05:40 PM
  using node.js on NIOT-E-TP151-EN-RE COswald 9 10,111 May-20th-2020, 12:54 PM
  NIOT-E-NPI3-EN Envisia-BR 8 5,733 December-5th-2019, 02:57 PM